Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonlyn_gw

Can a Katsura tree grow in 5'-7' tree pit?

Jonlyn
9 years ago

We've redesigned the back courtyard of our Brooklyn coop building and I've seen Katsura trees growing in the neighborhood and fell in love. I'd love to include one in our planting plan

Pictured below is the tree pit which is 5' x 7' at the widest section but also narrows down by a foot at the back.

Anyone have experience growing these gorgeous trees in confined spaces? Will they adapt, and just grow smaller / slower, or will they eventually die if they can't spread out?

Also, any tips on purchasing, planting, preparing the bed? I've heard they can be hard to transplant. I'm worried about planting a tree that may be destined to die. I understand they need a lot of water the first few years, but what else can I do to make sure it lives?

Would it help to buy a younger specimen? Any advantage in buying male or female?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (7)

• Jonlyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is open soil under the paving, but retaining walls of the bed go underground as deep as they are tall. The back fence is only about 8' and the stone wall on the other side may be 10'. There's free room to grow over these walls. See how I'm trying to talk myself into this? Really love that tree.

Previous consideration was River Birch, but I like Katsura more.

• calliope
    9 years ago

I'm vacillating about your choice as well, primarily from my experience with them. I've planted them twice and both were failures and I'm not one to often fail with trees. The first one was in full sun, planted young and purchased as container stock. It just took forever to put on any height at all and basically was the same size three years later as when I planted it. I side/planted it with a witch hazel (I often will plant a second tree next to one I suspect will need to be replaced) who cranked so fast it left the katsura in a trail of dust and I whacked the katsura off at ground level to allow the witch hazel to grow unimpeded. I tried it again in a semi-shaded area I thought would have better moisture retention, but good drainage. It grew in an uninspired manner as an understory tree for a few years and frankly I have so many trees now that I forgot about it. I went looking for it this spring and didn't see it. I dunno if the partner who does almost all of the tree maintenance just took it out or not. I also love the appearance of katsura, and have seen some lovely ones in the circumstances similar to what you have in mind. They are cheap enough to give it a try that you won't be out much monetarily if it doesn't work, but you might sacrifice years in waiting to see if it does, and then replanting a different tree and waiting until it sizes.

• terrene
    9 years ago

I have 2 Katsura trees I winter-sowed in January 2013. They are growing in pots in my "plant nursery" which is partial shade, morning sun only. They are now only 2nd year trees and are already 3 feet high. They're growing like weeds! They also overwintered outside last winter, which was a harsh winter, and didn't miss a beat.

They've proven to be hardy and vigorous so far. I just potted them up the other day from 1/2 to 1 gallon pots and plan to overwinter them outside again this year.

I have no idea how big they get ultimately, but they seem to be pretty adaptable trees in my experience.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Above ground portions of two species mentioned grow much too large for that spot anyway, unless you choose a dwarf cultivar of one of them you need to be looking at things like smallish growing Japanese maple cultivars and so on - not kinds that grow over 60 ft. tall.

Even the original 'Heronswood Globe' seedling upon which the compact Katsura cultivar was based would now be a bit much if it had been growing in your planter the whole time.

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 19:18

• terrene
    9 years ago

PS I just checked my seed stash and have plenty of seed leftover, if you would be interested in starting them yourself you can send me a SASBE.

PPS I didn't realize this species was dioecious?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I would take to heart what Calliope and Bboy said. In this situation I think a Japanese maple would be a better choice. I too have experienced Katsuras being very slow to take up the slack after transplantation. It's possible they grow better from seeds but you can't take that as a given. OTOH, JMs are...assuming the climate is right and it certainly is in NYC...some of the toughest smaller growing trees I know of. Earlier this year I literally ripped one out of the ground (just one of my many seedlings), tearing bark off the main root, and planted it in an undiggable spot (due to old silver maple root, which are like trying to dig through concrete) with a pitiful few shovelfuls of dirt in a mound. It is doing fine! This was about 4' with a 1/2" caliper. Few other desirable trees would have tolerated such abuse.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 19:30

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County