EAB - now found in fringetrees

j0nd03
9 years ago

This may be common knowledge but I just found out :*(

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

Comments (20)

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

SO sad!!!!! I was considering getting one . . . probably not now. And I love that the article is from a Wright State professor, woooo!!!

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's just heartbreaking, QC! I just planted one last year, too. I'm gonna leave it be for as long as I can enjoy it regardless :)

I included another link below from the U of A cooperative extension

Here is a link that might be useful: Article #2

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Both are in the same family, Oleaceae, so unfortunately, that's not surprising.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You weren't surprised even a little bit??? Did you know this before you read the comments where it is mentioned they are in the same family???

Ash and fringetree don't have a lot of similarities on the surface but...

*lowers glasses*

I guess it's what is on the inside that counts YEEEEAAAAAAAAH

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 17:57

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Ummm...well count me as someone who also wasn't surprised when I saw the topic in the trees forum list. Because, yes, I knew off the top of my head both were in the same family.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you the poster I was referring to? Anywho, I didn't mean anything by it; I was setting up my (lame) joke...

I'd bet the majority of folk who read the tree forums didn't know that fact. Not everyone, but most.

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 18:42

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, David has me on a guilt trip. Hair, if you were offended by my post, I apologize

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

I am surprised and didn't know....not concerned with my one little specimen off the corner of the house though.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

I heard that EAB is now in western MD, and in fact saw a few dead, mature ashes that looked suspiciously like EAB. Lots of ashes in the forests here in bottomlands & lower slopes.

Not good. Not good at all.

This post was edited by beng on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 9:47

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I'm getting rid of my Fringe tree. It's basically a net minus performer for me. It leafs out so late in the Spring, people ask me if it's dead. Ruins the picture when other plants are blooming at that time. Fall color is a so-so yellow and brown. The blooming period is short also.
    Mike

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Wow Mike, just kick a tree while it's down, why don't you?

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

lol

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Wait, why am I laughing . . . ? I'm sure this was originally intended to be a serious post . . . but if you don't laugh, you'll cry. I really am very very sorry to hear about problems like EAB and other problems. First, the natives are pushed out by invasive plants (honeysuckle, anyone?), then non-native pests eat them up . . . its so worrisome. I am trying to plant as many natives as possible, but I have an ornamental plant itch that has to be scratched, too. I did install a rain garden, and have been winter sowing native plant seeds, so hopefully next year I'll be helping Mother Nature. Oh yeah, also planted some native dogwood seeds out back, hope they grow, and some American Elderberry seeds, not sure now if I DO want them to grow . . .

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Not offended at all, John, by anything except these damn exotic pests killing all of our trees.

The ash skeletons I see driving through Ohio are heartbreaking. The ones around here mostly look OK but there are a few dead/dying that look like EAB damage, and Howard County has stated they'll be removing some ashes to try to prevent the spread.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Side note - has anyone heard about some of the Asian ash species being partially or completely resistant to EAB? I've read conflicing reports.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I heard the Asian species are more resistant to EAB as well, Hair. However, I don't recall reading any articles on it unfortunately. Either they are more resistant, or they have predators/pests that do a satisfactory job of controlling this particular beetle. It does appear our native woodpeckers are beginning to notice EAB as a food source but how efficient they are at reducing the beetles numbers, I also do not know. This process seems to take at least a decade or two for the woodpeckers once the beetle is introduced to their area.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also of note, fringetree leafs out the same time as many other trees at my place and is even ahead of the oaks and hickories so it appears early to leaf in my locale.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

ItâÂÂs probably still too early to say for sure what kind of impact EAB will have on fringetree. I havenâÂÂt heard of any reports here in MI that fringetree has been attacked or killed by EAB. So itâÂÂs still quite possible (and we can hope) that EAB turns out to be a relatively minor pest on fringetree, rarely causing significant damage.

As far as Asian ash resistance, I think it has been documented that Manchurian ash shows a high level of resistance, and it is likely that other Asian ash species will have some resistance as well. Research is also underway on developing resistant hybrids of Asian and North American species. And the native blue ash has apparently shown enough resistance to be able to persist and survive in certain areas here in Michigan.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Manchurian ash looks (to me) similar to F. pennsylvanica, I am considering trying one just for kicks to see what happens.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Blue Ash appears, according to reports, to be able to somewhat compartmentalize the wounds caused by EAB.