Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

the genetics of the Caddo sugar maple

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I know a few of you have planted either seedling Caddo sugar maples, or one of the cultivars ('John Pair', 'Autumn Splendor', or 'Flashfire').

How have they grown so far for you?

It seems that from what I read, the jury is still out on the proper classification.

Most now call it Acer saccharum var. Caddo. I've also seen it grouped with A. floridanum (barbatum), A. grandidentatum, and even Acer nigrum in the past. The trees' native range seems almost equally distant from all four species' "official" native ranges.

The trees seem to share some characteristics of all of them. The heat tolerance & leaf shape seems to somewhat mimic the A. floridanum, but it's drought tolerance is somewhat reminiscent of A. grandidentatum. The smaller leaves (from pics I've seen posted here) also resemble those two, but a lot of sugar maples from the "main" native range have smaller leaves, like the cultivars 'Legacy' and 'Commemoration', & nobody wants to call them anything but A. saccharum.

For those who have grown one, do they "look" like a 'regular' sugar maple, more or less, or different?

Comments (3)