Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found bark stripped from mature oak (picture)

Posted by greendrake SW PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 16:58

My wife and I were walking our dog in a hardwood forest and came upon a large mature oak tree that had vertical stripes about 2 or 3 inches wide running from ground level up to about 50 or 60 feet high within which the bark was gone. There is no clear indication that an animal or person did this. The surrounding ground is undisturbed (dead leaves). Anyone familiar with this?
I can't find a way to post a photo so here is a link to a group of photos that I took of the tree.
http://picasaweb.google.com/donles/StrangeTree#

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found bark stripped from mature oak (picture)

Lightning strike?

o
RE: found bark stripped from mature oak ...follow up

for example:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightning Strike Tree

o

Looks like lightning from here.

Dan

o

Thanks for the replies and link.
We feel fortunate to have seen this. How common is this result of a lightning strike? I thought lighting generally blew trees apart.

o

I've seen the bark splits much more frequently that the tree 'exploding' - though I have seen that as well.
Have a picture, somewhere, of a water oak back on the farm that I saw take a direct strike - bark split from far up in the canopy, down to the ground, that survived, and healed up the split in the bark. Lived for 10-12 more years until it was felled as housing developments went up.

As a veterinarian, I've also seen numerous dead cows piled up all around a tree that took a direct lighting strike, dropped in their tracks, with dirt blown up from around the surface roots.
Have also seen cows that took a direct hit with no tree involved, and they'll also have linear singe marks in their haircoat, where you can trace the path of the lightning strike as it coursed through/over their body.

o

We had a very tall, very old blue spruce and it took numerous lighting strikes in the 25 years I have lived here. And yes, it split the wood vertically from a great height down, not just the bark. It did not kill the tree outright, but the deep damage it did managed to eventually kill it gradually and it finally became rotted and unsafe and was just removed a couple weeks ago. Amazing stuff, no?

o

Out west lightning strikes are very common. When I lead hikes one of the things I look for is lightning strikes to start a conversation about the role of fire in ecosystems. Some of the conifers that grow with a twist are particularly useful for 'teachable moments'.

Dan

o

I've theorized that lightning follows the deep fissures in certain tree species. Or maybe someone told me that. Anyway, I've seen this often in oaks, especially Live Oaks, which can live on for many many more years.

o

This tree is mostly trunk(s) with the branches and leaves way up near the top. The leaves are still green. We'll be watching to see how it fares.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 16:36

If the tree dies from the strike (and I'm guessing the odds are good, at least for the couple of trunks with evident damage), it may take a few years. The initial damage is just the beginning, and can go far beyond what is apparent on the surface. Pests/disease/rot move in to finish the job.

o

I've seen lightning-struck trees' leaves go brown and crispy almost overnight - OK, over a 2-3 day period; they're 'dead as a hammer'. But some shrug it off and other than the noticeable bark split that eventually heals in, you'd never know they were hit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here