Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Almond Tree

Posted by renna44 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 17:32

I inherited a very sweet little almond tree when I bought my house last winter. It's approx 4 1/2 ft tall. Last spring it had little white and pink flowers - lovely! It gets full sun for at least 6 hrs a day. About a month ago I started seeing little bug nibble spots on the leaves. I sprayed an organic pesticide on it, and things improved. Now I notice the leaves are turning yellow and brown and falling off. Is this just its normal fall leaf dropping phase... or something more serious? I water it every 3 days really well. I'd love any advice on caring for the tree. Thank you :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Almond Tree

Every 3 days?! Are you growing this tree in a container? Was it newly planted? The reason I ask is because that sounds like you're watering much more frequently than necessary. Aside from that, it's really impossible to say with the information given.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 21:57

Is this a nut-producing almond tree (Prunus dulcis) or instead one of the flowering almond ornamental shrubs (P. glandulosa or P. sinensis)?

In either case twig dieback due to pathogenic infestations is common in moist climates. If you have any of that going on individual pieces will look blighted or fired while others will remain intact. All the leaves going yellow and dropping at this time of the year, without shriveling of leaves or stems would be expected to be the normal fall shedding.

Unless the frequent watering has rotted the roots, with the resulting defoliation of the top not occurring until late in the season.

o

most likely a flowering shrub almond ...

yes.. its mid october.. leaves are getting ready to fall off ...

shrubs tend to like a good drink.. and then to nearly dry ... so depending on how your soil drains.. perhaps you are on the verge of loving it to death thru drowning ... insert finger and water.. when the plant needs water.. not on some schedule... in late fall .. with cold nights .. soil can stay damp for a month ...

personally i would not have wasted spray in sept on a deciduous shrub ....

if anything negative happens to this shrub.. it might be from excessive love ... a 4.5 foot almond has probably been there for a decade at least... most likely with little or no care... because that is what you do with shrubs ...

good luck

ken

o

Thank you for the tips -- too much watering seems to have been the culprit. I guess my nuturing instincts went into overdrive. I stopped watering & the yellow leaves fell off and no more have appeared! She looks nice and healthy again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here