Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Viable Eastern redbud seed?

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

Collected a couple of handfuls of Redbud (Cercis canadensis) seedpods.

Some seeds are black and slightly shriveled or dented, others are brown and plump.

I have only ever seen the black dented ones previously, but I've never actually tried to grow the seeds, and want to try. So, which ones are viable?

Comments (10)

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

I dont know which ones are viable but those things grow like weeds around my area. There is probably about 7 seedlings in my yard and they grow very fast. if you cut them down they sprout right back up!

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll just use the method of having a crapload of seed, and hoping a few sprout.

I do know that I need to file or acid-bathe them to dissolve the hard seed coat then stratify for a couple months. I'll just let them sit until February or so.

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

If you are ever in Arkansas you can take all that i have. I have one that is about 4 feet tall, two that are around 1 foot tall and other seedlings. The young ones have pretty leaves.

I think you can start fresh seeds immediatly.

Tip
    â¢You can plant fresh seeds directly into the ground, if you prefer. If you live in an area with a few redbuds, chances are they will start growing in your yard naturally. If this happens, you can support the redbud seedling by fertilizing and watering it.

I'll take some pictures to upload later today when i get home.

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

If you want, I might be able to send you the seedlings through the mail if you paid the postage. Just depending on if i can get it out of the ground with all the roots intact.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the offer - I could dig some up too, this is more just for the fun of growing them from seed.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

well???? ... if you have rogue seedlings around... be the seed ...

how did ma nature sow them???

they fell to the ground.. most likely.. barley got covered ... and sprouted ... the following spring ...

they were cold treated either hanging in the pod on the tree ... or on the ground ... or didnt actually need it ...

i would just sprinkle them on some media in a pot ... barely scratching them in ... protect from vermin.. and stow the pot outdoors on the north side of the house... and let winter/ma nature do her thing ... which she is apparently pretty good at ...

except for experimentation ... i dont know why you would add all kinds of variables .... though that is a good enough reason.. if you seek wisdom and knowledge ...

ken

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The western version reseeds like crazy and the seeds seem viable for years because I got rid of mine 3 years ago and I'm still pulling out seedlings.

• nurseryman33
    9 years ago

I asked the seed guy at work. He said the brown and plump ones are the ones you want.

• nick_b79
    9 years ago

Plump ones worked for me last year. I didn't bother with files or acid; I just tossed them in a cup of near-boiling water (190F) and let them soak overnight.

Ones that didn't visibly enlarge by the next day got another hot water bath until they did.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, so I'll toss the dark, shriveled ones?