Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mulch over exposed roots

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 17:44

Under a large sugar maple, where the lawn has died and the roots showing on the surface, I saw where our HOA has simply put a basic shredded bark mulch maybe an inch thick over it all rather than trying to plant grass.

At first I thought this was bad, then I figured, well, as long as it's no deeper than natural leaf litter would be, why not?

Is this an acceptable thing to do instead of burying with soil (Bad I know) or the futile attempt at planting grass?

How deep of mulch is OK? And should you remove old mulch each time you remulch or just add on top as the old stuff decomposes? I'd worry about it covering the roots too deeply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mulch over exposed roots

Yeah you can do that. I would never remove old mulch although I know of peeps that do that. The older and more decayed it gets, the better it has become at adding humus to the soil. That's a good thing.

IF one must re-mulch, as some places do every year whether it needs it or not, grabbing one of those three-pronged cultivators and stirring things up can work wonders. In fact, if the matted-down appearance of the old mulch is what's bugging you, just the cultivating can make it look good again.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here