Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Please ID these trees

canadianplant
10 years ago

Looks like I found something that is unfamiliar to me completely. The first three pictures here will be the same tree. Even managed to see little fruits.

The fourth and fifth tree is another one that I need to get IDed. The thing is I believe that I tried to get a larger one of these IDd a while back. No seeds or fruits or flowers noticed..

I dont know how to post multiple photos, so please bear with me when I post a few followups.

Comments (23)

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fruits

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

trunk

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second tree

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

closer up of lraves

• arbordave (SE MI)
    10 years ago

Not absolutely sure, but it looks like Siberian elm and Butternut (?) I believe the "little fruits" on the former are the flower buds.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

1st tree - Japanese Zelkova (Zelkova serrata)

2nd tree - Looks like a walnut...the leaves and damage on the trunk make me think it's a Butternut or Butternut x Japanese Walnut cross. (Juglans cinerea)

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the first tree is a. Possitive I'd thanks. I took a look at the city website where they show trees recommended to plant in the boulevards. Lo and behold butternut is on there and it seems walnuts aren't aren't here T all or if they Really they are rare.

• olreader
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what the consensus is about the first tree. I am interested because I planted a very small zelkova this spring. What time of year were the pictures taken? There are Siberian Elms in my part of Colorado and at this time of year the leaves look darker, rounder and probably shorter than those shown in picture #2. Anyway it seems like the pictures are good enough that an expert should know what it is.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took the pictures yesterday at the local botanical conservatory. They have some nice trees outside that I have never appreciated before (the inside is all tropical and cacti, more my focus for going :D ).

I googled the zelkova, if it isnt serrata it is still a zelkova IMO. The leaves and fruit look identical to my eye. The only thing is the tree is rated zone 5. My area is generally a zone 3 - 4B, with small pockets of 5 close to the lake. This has no damage from cold.

There are quite a few of the trees that seem to be butternuts planted around. Some looks damaged or sick. I hope it isnt blight... There is an older one that is about 30 feet tall. Badly pruned but old. Im going to have to try to get some cuttings to try to root.

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

Zone ratings of asian trees still need some research to be completely accurat.

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

I think the first tree with the small fruits is a Hackberry. Possibly Celti occidentalis. They look a great deal like Elms with black berries. Birds love them.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought about a hackberry. When I googled the tree the leaves on the celtis were rounder without the as many ridges as the zelkova...

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the first tree is a. Possitive I'd thanks. I took a look at the city website where they show trees recommended to plant in the boulevards. Lo and behold butternut is on there and it seems walnuts aren't aren't here T all or if they Really they are rare.

• sam_md
    10 years ago

Here's my Zelkova serrata take a look at it and compare.
    {{gwi:458963}}

• arbordave (SE MI)
    10 years ago

1st tree still looks like an elm to me, esp the 3rd photo of the bark. Check with the conservatory staff - they may be able to provide an ID for you.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, the bark is wrong for Zelkova.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Ulmus pumila then....what looks like Zelkova drupes are probably Siberian Elm flower buds.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont think it is an elm, but at second look the bark is all wrong for a zelkova. Looking into what the city plants, they do indeed plant hackberry, which as its been described above as " an elm with fruit". I do belive a common name for the Celtis is "bastardelm".

They arent flower buds for sure. They are a type of berry, or drupe.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Celtis has a slender drooping fruit pedical which is clearly absent in your photo.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    10 years ago

a couple good photos of Siberian elm flower buds (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Siberian elm buds

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Siberian elm was all I could think of from the start. As we can see confirmed in the last picture, they were in fact flower buds, with scales on the outside and not fruits.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I stand corrected. I went back quickly today and they do indeed have scales....

• arbordave (SE MI)
    10 years ago

Seeing that tree #1 appears to be a planted specimen on the grounds of the botanical conservatory, it's very possible that it's a cultivated variety of elm. Maybe one of the cultivars with Siberian elm in its parentage - perhaps Sapporo Autumn Gold?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz