Posted by j0nd03 7b AR (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 18:24

Just a reminder:

It's about that time of the year to erect some deer deterrent around our babies

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 21:36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I should have used protection

My trees are a bit larger now. I am going with windchimes and fishing bells hung from branches.

Wonder if I can catch a good buck with some twine and a smooth barked acer rubrum as bait. My buddies who are getting ready to spend their vacations sitting in tree stands will all be jealous.

o

My solution to the deer problem is to plant as many plants as I can afford, on the idea that the bigger selection at the salad bar, no one plant will be damaged significantly.

Besides I enjoy seeing the deer in the yard. The young fawns are so cute playing tag in the yard.

o

This was a $10 cheapie I picked up on a whim this spring so no big loss. I had planned on putting up my deer deterrents Friday on my day off but the buck apparently had to get his rub in first!

The 4 loblolly pines naturally occuring on my property all show a history of rub damage but have overcome the problem. Not so for this little one since it is girdled all the way around for a good 1' in height. I expected them to target this tree, just not quite so soon.

Good luck to the rest of you!

I used to like watching the deer until they top pruned over a dozen of my babies the first year I started planting as well as rubbing every tree 1" caliper on the whole darn property!!! I only see them once or twice a year but they leave sign year round. Sneaky bastards...

Oh and of course they leave all the 1" caliper oak/hickory/cherry/ash saplings in the woods untouched......!!!!!!!.....

o

I grow Poncirus trifoliata. Grows fast, makes hellish thorns. I cut year old branches of the Poncirus and hang them in the trees I want to protect. Use some around the base for rabbits, tie them if I have to in the branches to prevent deer browsing and buck rubs. Some people swear the Poncirus is a useless tree, I think this hardy citrus should be used for deer hedges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poncirus spines

o

I like the way Dzit. thinks, here's my Poncirus, never been touched by deer.
 photo 10-13-13003.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here