Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharilouwho_gw

What's eating my tree (red maple perhaps?)??

ShariLouWho
9 years ago

We just purchased a home & aren't sure what we're doing here, so hopefully y'all can help. Among our trees are two presumably dead weeping willows, a cedar that has a large swath of dead branches vertically down the middle, and this red colored maple that's being eaten up by something. Interestingly, there are branches on top (thinking new growth) that do not appear to be affected.

Can anyone tell me what we're dealing with, and also how to address the issue? I really don't want to lose any more trees!

Comments (8)

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another photo

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Difficult to see the damage clearly so hard to assign any specific culprit. Regardless, at this time of the season there is little you can or need to do. The tree will be entering dormancy in just a few weeks and dropping its leaves. Just gather them up and dispose of them and you will be done with the issue for the winter (the vast majority of pests that damage foliage do not damage wood).

It might be helpful to know where you are located. Weather conditions and lack of adequate water - although unlikely with that green a lawn - may have some bearing. Was the property empty before you took possession? Neglect could be a factor as well.

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, gardengal!

I'm sorry, I'm new to all this. We are in Virginia zone 7a. The home was indeed vacant for about six weeks prior to our move-in.

I don't know if this is related, but there was also a large colony of wasps that had taken up residence on the front porch that required eviction. I understand that wasps can also eat greenery?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Does this fit with Japanese beetles? Are they mostly done in your area by August which would leave new foliage unaffected?

If you could post a couple of the tree leaves laid flat and some pics of the other trees?

Virginia is pretty normal. I worry about trees planted in the desert when folks move out but not soo much Virginia unless it has been oddly dry or hot.

Oh oh, any serptic, sewer or paving work done before you moved in?

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

This tree is a red Japanese maple. Acer palmatum Bloodgood probably. Not much to do at this time of year except suffer through looking at it until the leaves fall. Next year you can start your education on care of trees and plants.

Wasps don't eat the trees. They are predators and eat the sucking and chewing insects that eat the trees. They are a gardeners friend unless they sting you, then people think they are bad.

Next spring you can assess the Willows and Cedars and see what kind of help they need.

Get lots of info on plants and trees and enjoy the new part of home ownership.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Yes, I was thinking Japanese beetles as a possibility as well. But not having issues with those critters in my neck of the woods and no clear view of the damage, I didn't care to pin it down.

Unfortunately the tree looks ratty now but it will soon be leafless anyway, so no big worries.

And that lawn looks pretty good for being ignored for 6 weeks!

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Huge learning curve here, as we have previously had landscapers, but definitely something we're interested in learning.

I'm leery of the wasps since I'm allergic to them (along with bees, yellow jackets, etc.) but I am just using caution & keeping an epi-pen handy.

Good point on being able to wait until spring to really do much. I know we need to at least trim back our crepe myrtles a bit (I think we have over 20 of them or some crazy number LOL), but for the most part, it looks like we can just let all that go for a bit while we get the rest of our new home in order.

And Hubs will greatly appreciate the comments on the lawn. You're right, it's gorgeous & he's working very hard on it. :-)

• ShariLouWho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention, no septic, sewer or paving work done prior to move-in or since. We're on a well & septic. Our drain field is almost 1/4 mile away, so I don't think that would affect it regardless (but then again, hello, new homeowner here!).