Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbzdude

Experience with Bottlebrush Buckeye?

greenthumbzdude
10 years ago

I know its not much of a tree but I thought I would ask anyway. So on my college has a several bottle brush buckeyes that have started dropping seed (there are about 15 in total that are used as erosion control on a steep embankment). The seeds are rather large, almost the side of a avocado pit. I have access to the the college's greenhouse since I am a member of the botany club and they said I could do my own side projects. I would like to grow a few of these from seed....any ideas on how to get them started?

Comments (7)

• sam_md
    10 years ago

Here's a nice specimen of what I call a colony forming shrub. Pic taken last June 28 shows BB Buckeye in all of its glory. Something missed by many is nighttime observation during blooming, countless night flying moths come to the fragrant flowers after dark.
    For my area seed can be collected in September and sown right away, it does not store. Anderson die bands or bottomless pots will produce good seedlings. Sow seedlings just barely covering and water them in. Within a week they will produce a root radical, nothing more. Protect from freezing and rodents. When it warms up next Spring they will resume growth and put up top growth.
    {{gwi:459922}}

• corkball
    10 years ago

I haven't planted bottlebrush, but have planted lots of other buckeyes and horsechestnuts. They are EASY to grow, but need cold to sprout. I just plant outside in the fall. If you are worried about squirrels, cover the planted seeds with chickenwire.
    They come up early in the spring - one of the first trees to green up.

• jimfromYGS
    10 years ago

I have one and have appreciated many. They sure are not a tree, but oh well.

Dirr says they should be planted immediately after collecting and should never be allowed to dry out. Plant 1" deep in pine bark in 3 gallon containers covered in wire mesh (I guess to keep the critters out). They start growing roots in about a month and then the shoots start growing the next spring.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Superb large shrub/small tree. Like Sam says, a magnet for nite-prowling moths like hawk-moths.

Mine has a few seeds, but I question if they're viable. Doubt that mine were cross-pollinationed -- no other bottlebrushes around.

This post was edited by beng on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 9:51

• sam_md
    10 years ago

How's this for fall color? I'd call it lemon yellow. The beautiful color is peaking right now, prolly next week it will be gone.
    {{gwi:459924}}

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

They need cold stratification for 60 - 90 days then exposure to spring conditions. I think they put out big tap roots so try to plant one seed per tall pot.

• sam_md
    10 years ago

Here you go GTD, I knocked this BBB seed out of the pot this afternoon. You can see the root which at this stage is well formed. That's all it does this year. I grow these as liners in the die bands as shown and overwinter in a frost free house. The top doesn't come up 'till next Spring.
    {{gwi:459926}}