Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

I sowed Hemlock tree seed so.......

poaky1
9 years ago

I just sprinkled the seed on top of the soil. I believe nature will do the rest, the tree I collected them off of would just let the seed flutter down on top the soil. I am assuming I don't need to cover, or if I do just with some shed needles from a Hemlock or a sparse mulch of needles.

Comments (6)

• edlincoln
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It may...if it doesn't compete with weeds, if something doesn't eat it, and if the rain gods are kind. I think I heard a rule of thumb is you stick a seed under dirt equal to it's width.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Drought might be a problem. If that dirt is exposed to the sun it will dry out in no time. It has to be in the shadow for the seeds to find enough moisture. Likewise you can't sow on top of the soil indoors since the air is too dry. Then you have to make an artificial atmosohere by putting a plastic bag around the pot.

• famartin
    9 years ago

In nature they probably end up with a blanket of leaves or needles, which would ensure they don't dry out. Keeping them shaded would help but shouldn't be absolutely necessary if the soil remains moist.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Good topic. To be sure, in the natural setting, bare mineral soil is the ticket for most pine-family members' seed germination. Hence, the explosion of new recruits following fire or other disturbance. Even N. white cedar-often a a close ally of hemlock-responds vigorously to forest fire. I don't know if a subsequent covering by leaves and other detritus helps or hurts. When forests burn, oftentimes there is a great deal of charred woody debris left behind which is ideal for a wide array of especially coniferous species to take hold. Hence the vast acreage today in pine, etc. across Maine to Minnesota following the careless logging of the late 1800's. Basically, the rapacious and wanton practices turned out to be near-ideal for the pines' return. I'd think hemlock would be roughly similar. I always see them coming up in little pockets of sunlight where trees have blown down, etc.

+oM

• famartin
    9 years ago

The USFS has a long write-up on seedling germination:

"Seedling Development- Despite the high frequency of cone crops and the long duration of cone production by individual trees, the viability of eastern hemlock seed is usually low. Germinative capacity commonly is less than 25 percent (36). In one locality only 2.1 viable seeds were produced per cone, 2.2 were destroyed by insects, and the remaining 8.0 seeds were empty (29).

Eastern hemlock seed is partially dormant at maturity and must be stratified about 10 weeks at or slightly above freezing temperatures for best germination. Unstratified seed must be exposed to light to break the partial dormancy. Under natural conditions the chilling requirements are met during the winter and the spring germination seldom is delayed because of seed dormancy (35). Germination is epigeal.

The temperature requirements for germination of eastern hemlock are more exacting than for other species in the genus. A constant temperature of 15° C (59° F) is about optimum for germination. High germination percentages usually occur at temperatures ranging from 7° to 18° C (44° to 64° F), depending on the seed source (29,35). These temperatures are nearly identical to those required for yellow birch (Betula alleghaniensis), the most common associated species in the northern region, and help to explain the association of two species differing so much in tolerance. Achieving desirable temperatures for germination under natural conditions is difficult because eastern hemlock seeds require from 45 to 60 days to reach their peak in germinative energy. Contrary to common belief, the species requires a warm, moist site for stand establishment rather than the cool, moist conditions that usually develop as stands mature.

Eastern hemlock seeds are easily damaged by drying. In one study 60 percent of the seeds were severely damaged after only 2 hours of drying, and 80 percent died or did not recover after 6 hours of drying (35). Drying of the seedling after germination caused heavy root mortality that could not be overcome once moisture conditions improved.

Natural stands of eastern hemlock nearly always contain a large component of relatively even-aged trees but consistently have a stocking of older age classes and larger diameter trees that provided shelter during the regeneration period (17,33,35,39). Consequently, new stands of eastern hemlock and yellow birch can be established under a high density overstory (from 70 to 80 percent crown cover) using the shelterwood regeneration system. The site must be prepared, however, by thorough mixing of organic and mineral soil or by prescribed fire to expose a partially decomposed layer (6,12,14,18,26,32,34, 35,38). Under this system, optimum conditions are created for germination and seedling establishment. Without these conditions most eastern hemlock regeneration is restricted to rotten logs, stumps, and mounds that normally have warmer surfaces and better moisture retention than the forest floor.

The rigid overstory and seedbed requirements for successful natural regeneration of eastern hemlock were evident in a direct seeding study in northwestern Pennsylvania. "No hemlock germinated on prepared spots in the open (hemlock rarely germinates and becomes established in open areas) and only a few germinated under a light overstory because of the moisture stress created under these conditions." Germination was good, however, on prepared sites under a pole-size stand, especially on north slopes (20).

Under ideal growing conditions, seedlings of eastern hemlock develop slowly. First-year seedlings may grow only 25 to 38 mm (1 to 1.5 in) in height and the roots extend less than 13 mm (0.5 in) into the soil. These conditions provide moisture in the upper soil horizon throughout the growing season. "Because of their stable moisture requirements, seedlings are very sensitive to high temperatures and drying of the surface soil during the establishment period. Once the root system has reached a soil depth not radically affected by surface drying, usually after the second year, the seedlings grow more rapidly without interference of overhead shade. Seedlings are fully established when they are 0.9 to 1.5 m (3 to 5 ft) tall and at that time, can be released completely from overhead competition without fear of mortality."

Eastern hemlock seedlings are subject to damping-off as well as root rot fungi (23,35). The fungi may be present in the soil or within the seed before it is dispersed. At least seven species of fungi are known to attack the seed, and several other species cause damping-off. Treatment of seeds with fungicides is frequently ineffective in controlling diseases and also delays or reduces germination. The high incidence of seedling disease combined with low seed viability suggest that supplemental seeding would enhance natural seeding under most conditions."

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Service write-up on Tsuga canadensis

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info and link. It is pretty straightforward. I have sprinkled many seeds in each spot, so less than 25% is still okay, I guess. I will rake some needles from under my Pinus strobus. I believe that my spots will be moister than a pot, it's been damp and cool since I sprinkled/sown the seeds. Some were big and thick compared to others, relatively speaking, for small seeds. I still have some seed in a cup, they may have dried out, but I will just scatter them elsewhere, they were free, I picked them, if they don't make it no big deal. It's dark out now or I would collect those needles to mulch them with. Something tried to dig up our dead Beagle, he died about a month and a half ago. I am not going out there in the dark, no way jose'.