Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northern Pin Oak vs. Pin Oak

Posted by whaas 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 19:32

Besides the slight nuiances, any reason to plant a Northern Pin Oak vs. a Pink Oak?

Only thing I can find is that the Northern Pin Oak is better suited for dry soils.

Honestly looking for the one that will exhibit a better habit/shape

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northern Pin Oak vs. Pin Oak

Their common names would certainly lead one to believe they're similar, but the differences may be more than slight. The closest I've been to being an oak expert is when I sat next to Guy Sternberg at a party, but I think NPO would be closer to Scarlet, Northern Red, and Black (Q. velutina) than Pin (Q. palustris). I'm sure others will quickly correct me if I'm wrong about this. One obvious and important distinction between NPO and PO is the former's tolerance of neutral soils. I'd think the one that looks best will be the one that is best suited to your site.

o

Yes, the NPO is a hyprid of Black and Red.

Found my answers. PO has the better habit/shape...I guess that is subjective if you like a more irregular shape.

I've eliminated the NPO due its susceptibility to Wilt....a problem in my area.

o

northern pin oak also is found in colder areas
such as zone 3b , both would be hardy in
zone 5b

o

I believe pretty much all of the "red" oaks are susceptible to oak wilt and bacterial leaf scorch if it's in your area.

o

Oak wilt is a real problem, but primarily in a woodland setting where root grafts spread the disease from one tree to another. It can be nasty and I've had to remove many infected trees in the woods. However, I wouldn't let it keep me from planting red oaks. Its unlikely you'll have a problem if planted in an open area, prune appropriately, and avoid wounds.

This from the WI DNR website regarding OW spread:

Underground:

Most oak wilt moves from diseased trees to healthy trees through roots that have become interconnected (root grafts). Most root grafts form between oaks of the same species; red oak roots graft more commonly than do white oak roots, and grafts between red and white oaks are very rare.

Overland:

Some movement of oak wilt is overland via sap-feeding beetles. In the spring, fungal mats (small masses of Ceratocystis fagacearum) develop under the bark of some trees that have died from oak wilt the year before. These mats force the bark to crack open. The fungus produces a sweet odor that attracts sap-feeding beetles on the mats. The beetles then fly to healthier oaks to feed on sap flowing from fresh wounds, thus infecting healthy trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here