Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really Stepped In It!

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 20:05

I was making my way down a dirt road today, I had to stop for a minute. I got out and that's when it happened. What I stepped in was soft, fruity and attractive to yellow jackets. I spent some time and collected them.
Wanna know the funny thing, there must be 10,000 of these trees in this area, I know of only one producing fruit. Did you ever step in it? Can you name it?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really Stepped In It!

pawpaw, no i never stepped in it as a matter of fact I never even seen one in the wild yet.

o

I have stepped in it and I have eaten them. They are very good when ripe.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 21:27

You don't have to step on the fruit in order to eat it you know! Is that a bad joke?

I love Paw Paw but can't really grow them here. Instead I grow Aesculus that somewhat gives me the leaf texture.

o

We have tons of pawpaw around here - There was a good crop this year, but the 'coons got them all! I never tasted a single one...

o

I've never stepped in it, Sam, or tasted it. Now that you've put it in these terms, I'm not sure I care to do either. ;) BTW, I was at Starved Rock state park in north central Illinois this past weekend, and saw Asimina for the first time growing wild. There were a few patches throughout the park, and all were growing in fairly heavy shade in a cool, moist woodland setting. No fruit to be found.

o

This from the California Rare Fruit Growers site: Pawpaw flowers are perfect, in that they have both male and female reproductive parts, but they are not self-polinating. The flowers are also protogynaus, i.e. the female stigma matures and is no longer receptive when the male pollen is shed. In addition, pawpaws are self-incompatible, requiring cross pollination from another unrelated pawpaw tree.
If this were not enough, only flies and beetles pollinate the flowers.
Large, clonal colonies of this tree have formed and dominate the riparian forests of the lower Susquehanna River near me. They appear to be doing just fine living a celibate life :)

o

Deers love PawPaws . My mom has quite a few in her backyard . From what I have read , they like living under taller trees , away from direct sunlight .

o

I think you mean DEER love pawpaws ;)

Sorry, my high school english teacher was a real stickler!

o

Since the topic of deer has been brought up, notice how perfect the foliage is in my pic? All of the leaves are like that. This is one plant that the deer simply will not eat. AFAIK only Zebra Swallowtail caterpillars eat the foliage since they are host specific.

o

Deer usually don't eat the foliage but they do eat the fruit.

Trees do fine as understory trees, but don't usually fruit well in that scenario. They do best if given shade during their first couple of years, but produce much better if given full sun after their first few years. I always locate them in full sun and provide artificial shade (shade-cloth enclosures) in the beginning.

o

They also don't seem to be plagued by very many diseases. Most years, they turn a really nice lemon yellow in the fall. Actually an outstanding small tree for the naturalistic landscape!

o

This pic does not do this tree justice. The tree stood out from a mile away and I had to stop and take the pic. I think this Pawpaw is especially nice because it is in full sun. Pic taken today.
Photobucket

o

Sam,
Is that A.parviflora, or just a small-fruited A.triloba?

A.parviflora was pretty common, back home in east-central AL - and most prolific fruiters were located in full sun, often on hilltops; A.triloba was much more common along creeks.
Have seedlings of a very prolific A.parviflora (my graft of the ortet succumbed to the Easter Big Freeze Disaster of 2007) from the AL farm growing here - its branches were festooned with those little 2" fruits, singly or occasionally in pairs, all along the branches - not in 'hands' like the larger A.triloba.

o

The pic in my OP is of fruit collected from a wild population so I think it is A. triloba. I just scavenged whatever I could find, four-legged varmints got there before me. Sam

o

I bought 2 from a not-so-great nursery years ago and they were nearly rootless and I got credit on my Credit card for the purchase, but never tried buying them again. Are they worth it? I have Raccoons, possums, squirrels, mice etc, as nightly visitors, I'm in the country. Very important question is " Do they tolerate shade enough to ripen fruit in shade?". I wish I could try the fruit first though.I hear it is like "banana custard" in taste. I like bananas before they get really ripe, after they get really sweet and too ripe I don't like them. Anybody have any opinions on the taste?

o

With this pic this thread comes full circle. This tree has been blooming for a month and these are the last flowers. Tree Forum geeks just gotta love those flowers. BTW did we ever figure what is "three lobed" about Pawpaw?
 photo 05-08-13003.jpg

o

Linked here is an upcoming Pawpaw Festival in my state. I understand that this may not be relevant to many who post here but it is likely that you have something similar coming up soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sept 8 Pawpaw Festival

o

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:05

I never had pawpaw.fruit or nut. Can you describe the taste?

o

Posted by jimbobfeeny 5a IN (My Page) on Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 17:21

Why have deer or sheep no plural form in English?

Can I say:
(a) I have five deer?
(b) I have a bunch of deer?
(c) I have a number of deer?
(d) I have many deer?
(e) I have much deer?

o

nothing here.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 17:18

o

Love the Pawpaw tree, not a big fan of the fruit.

o

you can also say I have five fish, I have five ginkgo, I have five rhinoceros, I have five buffalo...the list goes on...

It's not that they have no plural form, it's that the plural form is the same as the singular.

o

Posted by formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15) (My Page) on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:58

Thank you. So (a) through (d) are correct. (e) is wrong.

o

the named cultivars have better tasting fruit.........some do taste like a custard with banana and other fruit mixed in.....some people dont like it because of the texture

if you have gaps in the canopy they will fruit otherwise deep shade will most likely not cause them to fruit

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 21:03

Love those photos, Sam. I have a single pawpaw that I grew from seed last year. Hoping to grow it some buddies in the future, as it is a fabulous species, in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here