Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_md

Really Stepped In It!

sam_md
11 years ago

I was making my way down a dirt road today, I had to stop for a minute. I got out and that's when it happened. What I stepped in was soft, fruity and attractive to yellow jackets. I spent some time and collected them.

Wanna know the funny thing, there must be 10,000 of these trees in this area, I know of only one producing fruit. Did you ever step in it? Can you name it?

{{gwi:460682}}

Comments (49)

• greenthumbzdude
    11 years ago

pawpaw, no i never stepped in it as a matter of fact I never even seen one in the wild yet.

• lovestogrow
    11 years ago

I have stepped in it and I have eaten them. They are very good when ripe.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

You don't have to step on the fruit in order to eat it you know! Is that a bad joke?

I love Paw Paw but can't really grow them here. Instead I grow Aesculus that somewhat gives me the leaf texture.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

We have tons of pawpaw around here - There was a good crop this year, but the 'coons got them all! I never tasted a single one...

• basic
    11 years ago

I've never stepped in it, Sam, or tasted it. Now that you've put it in these terms, I'm not sure I care to do either. ;) BTW, I was at Starved Rock state park in north central Illinois this past weekend, and saw Asimina for the first time growing wild. There were a few patches throughout the park, and all were growing in fairly heavy shade in a cool, moist woodland setting. No fruit to be found.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This from the California Rare Fruit Growers site: Pawpaw flowers are perfect, in that they have both male and female reproductive parts, but they are not self-polinating. The flowers are also protogynaus, i.e. the female stigma matures and is no longer receptive when the male pollen is shed. In addition, pawpaws are self-incompatible, requiring cross pollination from another unrelated pawpaw tree.
    If this were not enough, only flies and beetles pollinate the flowers.
    Large, clonal colonies of this tree have formed and dominate the riparian forests of the lower Susquehanna River near me. They appear to be doing just fine living a celibate life :)

• JMiller84
    11 years ago

Deers love PawPaws . My mom has quite a few in her backyard . From what I have read , they like living under taller trees , away from direct sunlight .

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

I think you mean DEER love pawpaws ;)

Sorry, my high school english teacher was a real stickler!

• sam_md
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since the topic of deer has been brought up, notice how perfect the foliage is in my pic? All of the leaves are like that. This is one plant that the deer simply will not eat. AFAIK only Zebra Swallowtail caterpillars eat the foliage since they are host specific.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Deer usually don't eat the foliage but they do eat the fruit.

Trees do fine as understory trees, but don't usually fruit well in that scenario. They do best if given shade during their first couple of years, but produce much better if given full sun after their first few years. I always locate them in full sun and provide artificial shade (shade-cloth enclosures) in the beginning.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

They also don't seem to be plagued by very many diseases. Most years, they turn a really nice lemon yellow in the fall. Actually an outstanding small tree for the naturalistic landscape!

• sam_md
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This pic does not do this tree justice. The tree stood out from a mile away and I had to stop and take the pic. I think this Pawpaw is especially nice because it is in full sun. Pic taken today.
    {{gwi:460684}}

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

Sam,
    Is that A.parviflora, or just a small-fruited A.triloba?

A.parviflora was pretty common, back home in east-central AL - and most prolific fruiters were located in full sun, often on hilltops; A.triloba was much more common along creeks.
    Have seedlings of a very prolific A.parviflora (my graft of the ortet succumbed to the Easter Big Freeze Disaster of 2007) from the AL farm growing here - its branches were festooned with those little 2" fruits, singly or occasionally in pairs, all along the branches - not in 'hands' like the larger A.triloba.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pic in my OP is of fruit collected from a wild population so I think it is A. triloba. I just scavenged whatever I could find, four-legged varmints got there before me. Sam

• poaky1
    11 years ago

I bought 2 from a not-so-great nursery years ago and they were nearly rootless and I got credit on my Credit card for the purchase, but never tried buying them again. Are they worth it? I have Raccoons, possums, squirrels, mice etc, as nightly visitors, I'm in the country. Very important question is " Do they tolerate shade enough to ripen fruit in shade?". I wish I could try the fruit first though.I hear it is like "banana custard" in taste. I like bananas before they get really ripe, after they get really sweet and too ripe I don't like them. Anybody have any opinions on the taste?

• sam_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With this pic this thread comes full circle. This tree has been blooming for a month and these are the last flowers. Tree Forum geeks just gotta love those flowers. BTW did we ever figure what is "three lobed" about Pawpaw?
    {{gwi:460686}}

• sam_md
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linked here is an upcoming Pawpaw Festival in my state. I understand that this may not be relevant to many who post here but it is likely that you have something similar coming up soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sept 8 Pawpaw Festival

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:05

I never had pawpaw.fruit or nut. Can you describe the taste?

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by jimbobfeeny 5a IN (My Page) on Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 17:21

Why have deer or sheep no plural form in English?

Can I say:
    (a) I have five deer?
    (b) I have a bunch of deer?
    (c) I have a number of deer?
    (d) I have many deer?
    (e) I have much deer?

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

nothing here.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 17:18

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Love the Pawpaw tree, not a big fan of the fruit.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

you can also say I have five fish, I have five ginkgo, I have five rhinoceros, I have five buffalo...the list goes on...

It's not that they have no plural form, it's that the plural form is the same as the singular.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15) (My Page) on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:58

Thank you. So (a) through (d) are correct. (e) is wrong.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

the named cultivars have better tasting fruit.........some do taste like a custard with banana and other fruit mixed in.....some people dont like it because of the texture

if you have gaps in the canopy they will fruit otherwise deep shade will most likely not cause them to fruit

• kchd
    10 years ago

Love those photos, Sam. I have a single pawpaw that I grew from seed last year. Hoping to grow it some buddies in the future, as it is a fabulous species, in my opinion.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whatever shall we plant in front of the Pawpaw Museum in Port Deposit MD? This one is heavily flowered this year with many fallen flowers on the sidewalk. I'm gonna check it out again in Oct and see if it makes fruit. BTW there were many Zebra Swallowtails flying about in the warm sun.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

Someone should tell the Pawpaw Museum to stop butchering their pawpaw!

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

Juju you have a "bunch of deer"?

Jojo

• jujujojo_gw
    8 years ago

josephene_gw , bunch of "deer incidents" ...

• lucky_p
    8 years ago

It's back.
    Like sam, I could show you thousands of pawpaws within a mile of my home. I find very few fruit on the natives; have walked miles up and down the creeks during the appropriate season, hunting fruits... some clumps may have a goodly crop, but you may walk another quarter mile, through a veritable forest of them, to find another one with fruit.
    I never 'knowingly' saw a pawpaw until I was well into my late 30s... but once someone pointed one out to me, I realized I'd been surrounded by them all my life, but never noticed one with fruits until I really started looking - and even then, they're few and far between.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Emerging seedlings taking their SWEET TIME. It looks like alot of empty spaces however some are just emerging. Interesting thing about Pawpaw, that big seed put down a root radicle last month all the way to the bottom of the pot. Only after that stage does the top emerge. Whatever happened to the cotyledons? Were they consumed during that phase of germination?

The seed was sown last October in individual tree bands and covered with sand. It was left in an unheated area and protected from vermin. These types of seedlings are mostly used for wildlife and environmental plantings.

• Huggorm
    8 years ago

Very nice seedlings. Will be hard to find space for all of them in the garden though.

I think most trees with large seeds do like pawpaw, first a deep root and after that leaves. Oaks, walnut, ginkgo, filbert, as long as they have a large quantity of energy in the seed to feed from.

• viper114
    8 years ago

Last October I also planted seed.....although I directly seeded them into the ground in public parks that have suitable habitat.....I have not checked back since....maybe they have come up?

• sam_md
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And here we are one year later. Same plants, different coke bottle :)

One good thing about Pawpaw from my perspective, they grow continuously through September, after that they go dormant. For me this is the perfect plant to fill all the niches. Deer won't eat the foliage, no J. beetle damage, no diseases, easy to propagate, easily marketable.

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

At first glance (at the photo which started this old thread) I thought perhaps the item being stepped in was deer poop. Then I looked closer, lol!

• poaky1
    6 years ago

I remember passing it on the way to Va last October, but didn't notice the tree was a Paw Paw.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There is also a Paw Paw, MI and a Paw Paw, IL.

Checked Google street view for the P.O. in Paw Paw, MI, and look what's planted on the north side of the building (image from Aug 2012):

• poaky1
    6 years ago

It's only right to have Paw Paws there I think, at each place named Paw Paw.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Poak,

When you were in Paw Paw did you by any chance go through the Tunnel? It is really amazing, the entire thing is lined with brick. If you go TAKE A FLASH LIGHT.

Here's today's shot of paw paw seedlings. It's a very easy crop to grow. Notice the albino, we also see these in buckeyes and just about all the nut trees.

• poaky1
    6 years ago

No sam, I just flew through (in my car) I didn't know there was one there, it looks pretty wild.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

THIS is one of many videos demonstrating how to hand pollinate paw paws. Today is 04-27-21 and seems perfect to give it a try.

I loaded pollen onto the brush from one flower, took it to a different tree and treated several flowers. Warm & sunny today, the ONLY insects coming to the flowers were flies, gnats and an occasional ant. I would say the aging flowers smell like bread dough. Did you ever try pollinating paw paw? Any luck?

• bengz6westmd
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

sam, do you see any of the Zebra swallowtails that use & need paw-paw for their caterpillars? They are very fast....

• blakrab Centex
    2 years ago

viper114 - Me too! Any updates on yours? I planted all mine between Spring of 2020 and Spring of 2021...so it's too soon to say, except for the ones from last season (but I haven't had time to check them yet).

• sam_md
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Ben, I don't think swallowtail butterflies of any species have emerged yet in our state, but it won't be long.

Does anyone here read Garden & Gun Magazine ? The current issue has an article: "The Pawpaw Pusher". about Neal Peterson AKA the Johnny Appleseed of pawpaws. From his home in Harpers Ferry he promotes Potomac, Shenandoah. Susquehanna, Rappahannock, Wabash and Allegheny named and trademarked selections made after decades of research. Peterson definitely has the pedigree of a dedicated researcher. These selections were made from his orchard of 1500 trees. I've never been to any of the pawpaw festivals in Va - W Virginia or MD every September. The most recent ones have been cancelled because of COVID. Am hoping I will be able to go this year.

• poaky1
    2 years ago

Wow, I had no idea that Paw paw flowers like that. They look nice.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    2 years ago

Last week I had the chance to make a quick stop in Paw Paw, MI, and sure enough it's still there on the north side of the post office. Looks like a good fruiting year for this one.

• bengz6westmd
    2 years ago

If you hang around a paw paw patch long enough in late spring/early summer, you might catch a brief glimpse of this fast-flyer -- Zebra swallowtail. A bit smaller than the other swallowtails. Their caterpillars eat paw paw leaves.

• poaky1
    2 years ago

Nice pics Arbor Dave and Beng, BUT, I do NOT have any "Paw paw" trees planted near me.

I had been offered a couple of them before, BUT, I had heard that it takes MANY years and THEN, after THAT, the Paw paw flowers NEED to be pollinated by some bugs that are mostly associated with "rotting flesh' like roadkill, or THAT type of an environment.

BUT, I had seen a couple of Paw Paws in "Colonial Williamsburg" that were NOT planted in a woodland, or any special place where MAYBE a dead animal was. BUT, they did NOT have any fruit on them either. They had been quite small and YOUNG. In Colonial Williamsburg, Va, they have some areas of small "fenced off" gardens, and in those areas, they have some plants that are pruned to be trained up walls and fences. And, in 1 of those places, i saw a Paw Paw tree that was small in stature and width, about 8 feet TALL by about 4 feet wide.

BUT, really, maybe what I have been told about the Paw paw tree is not TRUE? The ONLY person that I know that has actually EATEN some FRESH Paw Paw fruit, had eaten it in a state that was outside of his home state, and he said it would be available for a very BRIEF window of time in that location.

He had described Paw Paw fruit as being like a "fruity custard" taste.

IT really SEEMS to be hard to enjoy the Paw Paw 's fruit at the "perfect time", like when it is RIPE, but, NOT too over-ripe.

I do HOPE this will help, BUT, maybe I just do NOT know enough about the Paw paw to really help anybody to know exact;ly when to pick the fruit. Just maybe wait for it to get ripe, before trying to pick it?

And, IF you see a Paw Paw tree with plenty of fruits on it, then it had been pollinated good enough. Even IF there hadn't been any "roadkill" near it to help pollinate it.

Best wishes to you getting lottsa good Paw Paw fruit on your trees.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?