Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantnut65

three tree that are tall and skinny (identify)

plantnut65
9 years ago

My landlord is talking of clearing cutting an area that is all grown up, but with leaving some of the trees for shade, two are oaks. To one side of the lot (pictured) is three tall, eighteen to twenty five foot, very young trees, maybe three to four years at the best. We both think they should stay. They are close to each other and the same kind, close enough to combine for add shade. Last year I thought they were a crab apple, but they have grown tall like some border trees I've seen in movies that come from the Mediterranean Sea area. if you know let me know, These trees do have thorns two to three inches long. this is in South Carolina, the upstate.

Comments (8)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

two to three inch thorns!

If that area is to be mowed, walked through or maintained at all some future person really really hopes you will remove those trees.

I can not imagine my anger at having my riding mower tire punctured even every other year by a 3 inch thorn. Them things just aren't that easy to mount plus it sits in your yard while you drive to the hardware store or you have to drag it around on a car dolly.

Plus, I have a 4 year old kid running around falling and tripping into things. This makes me reconsider the couple cacti I have. He sure has found my neighbor's grape vines also.

My god, 3 inch thorns! Be careful with them things. Thank Home Depot and Lowes for selling invasives now your yard isn't safe for walking in barefoot.

• plantnut65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't like the thorns myself, found them by accident trying to get a cat out of one of the trees. Watching her from a window as a dog chased her up the tree, as she started down but keep going back up, and the dog was gone, lucky for me that was two years ago in the tallest tree at the time. I reached in seeing that every where she turned the thorns would allow her to go up, but not down, it was kinda strange. she didn't scratch me once, but the tree got me twice. There are 6 not 3, so it looks like it sprouts from a root line instead of one root, unless a single tree is near back in the forest close by, and it bore fruit. I think what Toronado3899 say about children, may cost the their life in the last year more children are near the lot and who knows. Here's a close up of one of the trees. needinfo001doubt it the pear unless it takes several years to start blooming and the callery pear trees seem to look like any tree in style where this thing is more pointed. thanks folks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

If you previously though these were crabapples, does that mean you did see them in bloom in spring? Because these sure look like callery pears to me. They tend to have a pretty pointy, upright habit and the thorns are very characteristic of wilding calleries. And the leaves look very similar.

Multiple similar trees close together are also a pretty good indicator. When these escape cultivation, they can often form a dense, thicket-like growth so very likely 6 separate trees than a single tree with root shoots (far less common).

FWIW, callery pears are widely naturalized (read 'invasive') in South Carolina.

Here is a link that might be useful: check the photos showing shape/habit and thorns

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

It is definitely a cross breed between different callery pears.
    They look like that around here too! But some are more rounded and some have a tighter branching structure. You never know what you will get when 2 different versions of the callery cross breed..
    It is definitely callery pear.

• plantnut65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have'nt seen them bloom at all, there is two or three years of growth, I was going by the leaves, but it would have had to bloom if this is either. the crab apples my dad had, had thorns, and they grew tall but fat

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Looks like a Bradford child to me. Late speckled fall color and the right general leaf shape.

Who is the patent holder on these things?

My god, what have we done.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

callery baby!