Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Anyone have access to "Montane" Longleaf pine seed or seedlings?

poaky1
9 years ago

I have been searching for "montane" long leaf pine seeds/seedlings for a couple hours online. They are growing in Georgia, Alabama or so I have read. They are MUCH HARDIER than the coastal Variety. Any nurseries or people who have access to them, I am interested in seeds or seedlings. Thanks Poaky1

Comments (14)

• conifer50
    9 years ago

Hi poaky, I should have several seed as I have ~100 cones drying at the moment. They are from the Bartow/Gordon County line in Northern Georgia and that is the most northerly known population of this rare ecotype.

Johnny

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Poaky, looks like Johnny has seeds, but keep searching on the internet. Took me more than just a few hrs to finally find a seedling source. Search google or whatever for "Longleaf Alliance".

This post was edited by beng on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 9:30

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

My understanding from someone who has one near Trenton, NJ is that the problem with them isn't hardiness, it's that heavy snows rip down the branches. Not sure if the northern ecotype will show improvement in that area. Possibly.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

David, yes, mine are indeed vulnerable to that. So far, OK, but a massive ice-storm like I experienced in SW Virginia in 1994 would undoubtedly damage or destroy them. That's why I have nearby trees to take over their spots if that happens. Still, it will have been worthwhile.

Somebody long ago posted a pic of Iowa's largest longleaf pine, and it was surviving, but a mess of damage.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

In the background are my 2 montane longleafs, w/a small Himalayan white pine in the foreground:

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the picture beng. I guess you got your new digital camera? The NJ trees look similar, bigger, but very open like that.

I wonder if the Iowa tree is one of the western pines? All of the state appears to be zn 5. Hard to believe they would do very well there.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Conifer50, How is the germination rate for the seeds? I will take a few if you have extra, but, I would also like to ask Beng, if you could possibly give me a branch from one of your longleaf pines for Dax to graft for me? I would like to try both ways in case the seeds from Conifer50 aren't as hardy as Beng's proven zone 6 hardy LLP. I already asked Dax and he is willing to graft a scion from Beng's tree, if Beng is willing to cut off a branch to be grafted. Dax said to wait til feb to cut it though. I definitely would love a few seeds if possible Conifer50. Beng, would you be willing to send a small branch in Feb? I will email you Conifer50, Beng I will see your answer when you reply here.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Yup, new camera. The branches are relatively open 'cause they've been repeatedly bent down, but not broken, by wet snows.

David, the pic that was shown was definitely longleaf -- no question (whoever posted it got the image from a "Iowa's biggest trees" site). Most of the damage looked like ice/snow but some prb'ly was cold damage. Still, the ~40' tree was soldiering on somehow. IIRC, Dax said there were longleafs at Guy Sternberg's Illinois site too.

Poaky, I reckon I could do that. Remind me in Feb....

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Thansk beng. Not totally implausible, but I wanted to be sure.
    If you think the climate of the SE US was inhospitable in the 1899 freeze (-2F in Tallahassee!) imagine it during one of the ice ages. So, of course some longleafs will have genetic memory of the hardiness required to get through that.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

AL & GA record cold temps:

Alabama -27F Jan. 30, 1966 New Market elev 760'

Georgia -17F Jan. 27, 1940 N. Floyd County elev 1,000'

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a million Beng! I appreciate it. I will be getting seeds also, but it's good to try both methods, and Thanks Conifer50 for the seeds, I got your email. Poaky1

• John Zebrun
    6 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if Conifer50 might have a reference as to where I could obtain a small number of those cold-hardy Longleaf seeds from the "Bartow/Gordon County line in Northern Georgia." Would these trees be close to the Longleafs on Lavender mountain near Berry College? Thanks for any feedback you might be able to provide!

• conifer50
    6 years ago

The provenance of the Long Leaf is located just east of Cartersville, Georgia......34 deg 10' 32.40" N, 84 deg 45' 13.12" W. This grove is the largest in North GA. or other remaining small tracts just inside the Alabama line. Lavender Mountain is 30 miles west of Cartersville, Bartow Co.

John, I should have sufficient Longleaf seed for your needs when I get around to harvest.

Johnny

• poaky1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, I just wanted to say that I never did get any trees from my seeds. Anyone in zone 6 have any success with seeds?