Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Help choosing small/medium tree to shade hosta

weed30 St. Louis
9 years ago

I live in St. Louis - mid county which is zone 6a/6b depending on the map you look at. I have a nice collection of hosta, and took them with me when I moved. I have a big yard, but unfortunately the only shade is way at the back, so I don't really get to enjoy my hosta. I want to move them near the house, but it is full sun there, from 9am - sunset.

I am planning on planting 2 trees: One fast growing columnar tree on the west side of the yard to block/filter the afternoon sun, and the tree that I need advice on, that will be shading the hosta. So far I am looking at the following, in no particular order:

Yoshino Cherry
Higan Cherry
Black Tupelo
Zelkova Sorreta Village Green
Honeylocust Skyline

By that list, you can surmise that I know little about trees, and have chosen the ones that are nice looking and seem to be less annoying than say, sweetgum ;)

I already have 2 dogwood, a Forest Pansy redbud and a Fringe tree in the yard, all on the perimiter. My neighbor to the west has a huge tree that shades the area where my hosta are currently planted.

The tree I want for the hosta would be (ideally) 8 - 10 feet from the back of the house and the same distance from the fence/property line.

The soil is really nice for about 12" - 15", then seems to be clay below that. The area is very slightly sloped, and my house is situated "downhill", so I probably get a decent amount of water traveling underground.

I am willing to spend more for a more mature tree for some immediate shade. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert