Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

How about a little color and structure?

whaas_5a
11 years ago

Thought I take a trip south to one of the best, Chi town Botanic Gardens, to lift my spirits with this sustained drought and record lows hitting tonight.

Here is a bit of color and some structure. Sorry no particular order!

Picea asperata - I'm really digging this spruce. There were several of them and they looked very full and healthy. There is a dwarf on the market that I need to find!

{{gwi:463363}}

Ulmus parvifolia - How spectacular is this bark!?!

{{gwi:463365}}

Picea abies 'Hillside Upright' - Love the chunky look of this spruce.

{{gwi:463367}}

Daphne x burkwoodii - just a guess

{{gwi:463369}}

Picea pungens 'Sunshine' - Showing a brilliant gold on the topside of the needles.

{{gwi:463370}}

Picea pungens 'Walnut Glen' - Might need confirmation on this one

{{gwi:463372}}

Picea glauca 'Pendula' - The ultimate classic! I have to take a picture every time I see it.

{{gwi:463374}}

Pinus cembra 'Glauca' - A species that typically remains quite full due its shade tolerance.

{{gwi:463376}}

Is this one mislabeled? Looks like a Picea mariana cultivar.

{{gwi:463377}}

Nyssa sylvatica - Very strange habit. It appeared as if it never had any leader damage. This fall color was on FIRE!

{{gwi:463379}}

Need an ID on this Oak. Perhaps shingle

{{gwi:463381}}

This WI state tree showing off more red here

{{gwi:463384}}

Weeping Katsura tree

{{gwi:463386}}

Pinus bungeana - Wow, what a specimen of this underutilized pine!

{{gwi:463389}}

Chinese Birch

{{gwi:463392}}

Acer triflorum

{{gwi:463395}}

An unlabeled muclewood that appears to be a possible cultivar, otherwise cultivar worthy.

{{gwi:463398}}

A weeping witchhazel

{{gwi:463401}}

Bald Cypress bark detail, I just love these trees!

{{gwi:463404}}

This sugar maple was a show stopper! Where are the idiot maple haters now!?!

{{gwi:463407}}

I missed the cultivar of this Acer palmatum, I recall it was one I hadn't heard of before.

{{gwi:463410}}

Pinus cembra 'Klein' - A rather dense specimen of this cultivar. Possibly mislabeled.

{{gwi:463413}}

Wolf Eyes Dogwood

{{gwi:463416}}

Pinus pumila 'Jeddeloh'

{{gwi:463420}}

Garden shot

{{gwi:463424}}

And you thought I loved trees!...she is by far the love of my life!

{{gwi:463428}}

Another garden shot

{{gwi:463431}}

Picea omorika 'Nana' - this specimen makes me think most other 'Nana' I see are wrong.

{{gwi:463433}}

A Chinese Fir of some sort?

{{gwi:463437}}

Need an ID on this one

{{gwi:463440}}

Beautiful branching structure of this Aesculus pavia

{{gwi:463443}}

Nice purple smoketree.

{{gwi:463446}}

Syringa pekinensis 'Morton' - Another one added to the wishlist!

{{gwi:463449}}

Massive Korean pine!

{{gwi:463452}}

I would have never thought this would have been a species sugar maple.

{{gwi:463455}}

The highly underutilized Ostrya virginiana

{{gwi:463459}}

A very dense, soft looking Bald Cypress with a Paw Paw in front.

{{gwi:463462}}

Yellow Birch - a gorgeous tree for snow birds. Surprised to see this plant thriving here.

{{gwi:463465}}

Musclewood bark detail

{{gwi:463468}}

Picea engelmannii 'Compacta' - a perfect substitute for Picea pungens

{{gwi:463470}}

My Tilia Americana @ 90% peak in late September!

{{gwi:463472}}

Comments (31)

• clement_2006
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Super, super.
    Clement

• thedecoguy
    11 years ago

Hi
    Your dapne burkwoodii looks more like a variegated Euphorbia to me.
    Lovely pics, bark can be a forgooten element when it comes to interest.

Regards chris.
    Oh, id you require Red dahlia.

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Fantastic. Really enjoyed this tour! Will look again and again.
    Richard

• calliope
    11 years ago

The flower you need an ID on is a dahlia. Thank you for a walk through your arboretum. Nice way to start the Sunday with my fav mug full of hot coffee in hand.

I smiled because several of your photo subjects are some of my fairly recent acquisitions. IE,the China Snow Peking lilac. Another, the weeping Katsura. In fact, I grafted that one myself two winters ago. It is ready to be planted come spring.

I laughed out loud at your comment to the 'mapler haters' and appreciated the photographs pointing out how structure and bark are important aspects of the whole tree package.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Yep amazing. Thanks for sharing dude. It is really, really, good stuff!

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Beautiful of course.

Unless there's some unidentified vine growing at the base, that Chinese elm has RED-colored seeds! Mine doesn't have that -- just pale, papery green-yellow seeds...

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Way to go whaas.

Great thread.

Daphne x burkwoodii 'Carole Mackie'

Dave

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It is so wonderful to see really good trees growing just as they should, and not squeezed in and pruned within an inch of their lives. It's kind of like going to a mall pet shop and then watching the Westminster Dog Show.

• ilovemytrees
    11 years ago

This is my favorite part of this forum, when people like you post beautiful pictures of their trees. Thank you for sharing them with all of us. It's a real privilege.

And your daughter is absolutely precious!

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Very Nice... fall is my favorite time of the year. I need a few more trees with strong orange or red fall color... everything here is yellow. We definitely need more threads like this in the future!

• jqpublic
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

My favorite post of the fall season (by a long shot!) but I am disappointed there were not more pics. Serious.

Thanks for sharing with us =)

John

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Yes, a Daphne. No variegated Euphorbia that looks like that would be hardy in Chicago.

Nice set of pictures...thanks! I must wonder whether some of these could have benefited from more aggressive pruning when they were small.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All, thanks for taking some time to look at the pics! The credit surely goes to the fine folks who take pride in keeping those grounds pristine.

Look forward to seeing fall pics in the coming weeks!

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I am speechless. I am dying to go to this BG and your photos are making me wish that I could go tomorrow. Thank you for some delicious eye candy and inspiration!

• farmboy1
    11 years ago

Nice, great pictures!

vince

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Lovely! I haven't been to the Chicago Botanical Gardens in years - not since I was knee-high to a grasshopper! The Morton Arboretum has some nice trees, but I always liked the landscape design at the Chicago Botanical Gardens. I've got to get up there SOMEtime!

• botann
    11 years ago

Thank you Will for a nice tour. Much appreciated.
    Mike

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

Love that Pinus bungeana shot - I wish I had planted one 20 or 30 years ago so it would look like that one now!

I had no idea that a Syringa would have such a great bark. Never been a fan of lilacs, but this one... just maybe. ;^)

Yup, looks like 'Walnut Glen' to me.

Thanks for posting these!

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Wonderful stuff. I chuckled at the yellow birch a little. Very nice shrubby plant-it barely hints at the forest giant this is in its home range. I wonder how they achieved that. Come to think of it, there was an odd, shrubby birch in a yard here. Keyed out to be yellow birch. We're not quite in yellow birch country here either, though it kicks in just north of us. Anyway, that plant looked a lot like CBG's. A shrub, not a tree really. Maybe that's how it grows when out of range.

+oM

• Fiddlegal08
    11 years ago

Thanks, Whaas! Pinus bungeana is fascinating. It's wearing camouflage! Breathtaking pictures.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Great post! Nice variety of plants illustrated and stunning color!

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Whaas,

WONDERFUL photos. You have an eye for beautiful photography. The love of your life is a precious little tyke. I can see how she may have your wrapped around your finger.

Thanks for sharing all the photos. Great plants and beautiful coloring.

• lcadem
    11 years ago

wonderful pictures.

ID-wise: I think that is not an oak but a hickory, probably carya glabra?

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

I love it when people reply in this thread so I have an excuse to slowly scroll through all the pics again... The "show stopper" maple gets me every time!

John

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad everyone enjoyed and appreciate the comments. Look forward to seeing more fall pics from those around the country. John and ark are always good for a few fall pics.

You're telling me! I had to wait for all the people to move away from the tree just to slip in a picture.

You might be right on the proposed oak being a hickory. It was off the beaten path and I just snapped a quick pic just because it had a richer yellow than most trees. I actually felt like I was lost as I was on the bike trail...still don't know how I got out there, lol.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Beautiful shots of some beautiful trees!!! Thank you for putting them up here for all of us to see them, and your daughter is gorgeous. I have a 2y old daughter and know the love you speak of. ;)

IMO, best bark goes to the Pinus bungeana. Looks like snow camo. Very unique and pretty.

Now I do have one complaint, that pic of the Tupelo is really making me think about putting one in the front/side of my home but the tri colored beech is still in the lead, not by much now thought...

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Ostrya virginiana is a beautiful tree - There's some in the woods behind our house that are 1 foot or more in diameter. They have a nice, yellow ochre fall color.

I'm actually trying to grow some yellow birch down here - So far, so good! It actually does grow wild in Cook and DuPage counties in ILL.

I did a double take when I first saw some oriental lilacs at the Morton Arboretum - I thought they were some kind of birch!

Thanks again for the pics!

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Right you are Jimbob regarding the existence of some natural populations of yellow birch in Illinois. I would not have expected that. Definitely makes its best and most abundant growth far to the north of there though. Places like the Nicolet and Ottawa National Forests of N. WI and Upper Michigan respectively.

+oM

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Some excellent specimens can be found in Yellow Birch Ravine Nature Preserve in Crawford County, IN. That's 150 miles south of where I live! It grows there with Eastern Hemlock and Mountain Laurel - A taste of Appalachia in Indiana. Of course, that's in a protected, cool limestone gorge.

It's quite common in the Northern part of the state, up around Lake Michigan and across the northern tier of counties.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Cool Jimbob. I was at a place in S. Ohio once-Seven Caves?-and this was a limestone gorge with caves, of course. Didn't see Betula allegheniensis but there were lots of Thuja occidentalis along with hemlock and tulip tree. Pretty interesting forest, way down there.

+oM

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH