Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID help

Posted by corkball 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 22:27

I thought I had a bead on all the trees around here, but came across two today I couldn't identify. I am in zone 4 in Minnesota.

tree 1: young tree, so no identifying characteristics. Bark was smooth and gray, and most leaves were gone. Shot is of a leaf, seed pods, and a seed removed from the pod.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID help

tree 2: older, but not very large. Form and branches looked a bit like a craggy fruit tree. Several broken branches - clearly this tree doesn't get big around here. Leaves and seeds remind me a lot of lilac, but the tree form wasn't zig-zaggy like a lilac shrub. Maybe there is such a thing as a lilac tree? Seeds were in large bunches.

o

Tree two looks like a Syringa reticulata 'Ivory Silk': 'Ivory Silk' Japanese Tree Lilac

o

I'll buy that! Thanks ians!

The clusters of fruit and the upright structure seem to match, and it looks to be hardy here. I wonder why I haven't seen more of them...

Anyone know what tree #1 is?

o

First pic might be Yellowwood, Cladrastis kentukea or its asian relative Maackia amurensis. Those have compound leafs but their leaflets looks like your leaf. Seedpods are also more or less a match.

o

Hard to tell for sure, but looking at photos of both, it looks like yellowwood is more likely. Sounds like it is barely cold tolerant enough for here, but I will try and plant it - thanks Huggorm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here