Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
premature cherry tree leaf drop?

Posted by amandaj TN zone7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 10 at 22:41

I haven't noticed this before. All of my cherry trees dropped most of their leaves about a month ago. There are only a few leaves left on the ends of some branches. I also noticed mushrooms growing in the mulch near some of them. It hasn't been unusually dry and I've watered them well a few times when it was. Is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: premature cherry tree leaf drop?

Much of the eastern half of the country just went through a very hot and ARID growing season. I say it's drought related. Saw some trees dropping leaves in August around here. It was just a harsh growing season--especially for trees and shrubs not fully established in the ground. Wouldn't worry about mushrooms unless they were actually growing on the tree.

o

Yes, weather.

Dan

o

i have a dozen 60 to 80 foot p. serotina.. furniture wood cherry ... and 10 weeks of drought and extreme heat this summer ...

i HAVE NO CLUE WHERE THE LEAVES WENT ... i did notice them gone a few weeks early .. i dont see them laying around all that much ... guess they blew away ...

a lot of my oaks simply went brown this year.. no red/scarlet ...

as above.. just a bad summer ...

ken

o

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll try to stop worrying. I thought I had watered them so much during the dry periods that they wouldn't know it had been dry. I didn't know if they'd make it without leaves this fall.

o

I thought I had watered them so much during the dry periods that they wouldn't know it had been dry.

Of course they "know". Their evapotranspiration increases, changing their metabolism.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here