Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

got fall yet (pics)? part ii

whaas_5a
9 years ago

The end to my favorite part of the year is fast approaching.

Thanks to Toro for starting the first thread and to all those that contributed!

I figure I start another thread as that one was getting good traction and taking some time to load. I have quite a few to add that would have dragged down the page load.

Link to first thread at the link below.

Bottlebrush Buckeye, one of the last of the family to turn.

{{gwi:464524}}

Autumn Splendor Buckeye, another one to turn late in the family
{{gwi:464526}}

Emperor I Japanese maple, turns late and just gets more purple here
{{gwi:464528}}

Tulip Tree, late to turn not often do I get to see color
{{gwi:464531}}

{{gwi:464533}}

Apollo Sugar Maple, a late turning sugar maple
{{gwi:464535}}

Orion Japanese Maple, what a survivor!
{{gwi:464536}}

North Wind Korean Maple, must have!
{{gwi:464537}}

{{gwi:464538}}

Fall Fiesta Sugar maple
{{gwi:464539}}

{{gwi:339210}}

Fringe Tree
{{gwi:464542}}

Homestead Buckeye, by far the best. I missed the fall color a bit.
{{gwi:464544}}

Molly Fordham Hybrid Maple
{{gwi:464546}}

A gorgeous sugar maple at the near by lake
{{gwi:464547}}

And another showing the variability in fall color

Here is a link that might be useful: Got fall yet (pics)?

Comments (68)

• basic
    9 years ago

Franklinia taken Saturday at Longwood Gardens.

• basic
    9 years ago

Franklinia foliage close-up

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Here's a pic from late 90s in VA where I lived. The trees are mostly chestnut oaks w/a red maple thrown in:

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread just keeps rolling!

zep, with the exception of the second Fall Fiesta and the last two sugars they are from my yard. Not much size yet as I just started Spring 2011. Last winter knocked out quite a few large conifers as well.

• basic
    9 years ago

Another boring Sugar Maple. ;)

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Another bottlebrush buckeye. Very well-formed and attractive shrub:

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Late turners -- N red oak on left & bitternut hickory on right:

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

Dogwood, Red maple, and Pignut hickory

{{gwi:464594}}

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Nice sweetgum.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I have a 3 yr old Scarlet oak I didn't look at for fall color yet. It is very small yet, and in an isolated area, so it is likely pretty bright, or will soon be. My back yard Pin oak is getting brighter Red each day, also.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Beng, that must have been a really low res camera - the earliest I used was in 2000 and that was only 1 megapixel. Sounds like you have a lot of room to plant trees on your property.

Basic that Franklinia is gorgeous - heard they had good color, like the Sourwoods. And Sugar maples are never boring!

Acer saccharum has pretty much gone by around here, but Acer rubrum is at or near peak. Are they boring too? ;) Stumbled across a couple nice old specimens today while driving around. This one is in front of a local church - it looks pretty old, but not nearly as old as the church (founded 1636).

• terrene
    9 years ago

Another big red tree...

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Rt 175, Columbia, Maryland - various trees. Some bronze pin oaks, a deep red Acer rubrum, and some Carya cordiformis, plus some still-green Quercus velutina (maybe rubra but they look like velutina from what I could see).

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Another roadside pic.

• basic
    9 years ago

Whaas, would you happen to know if that beautiful Nyssa is the mother tree of N. s. 'Carolyn'? I want it!

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Maples, etc.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Acer saccharum, probably 'Legacy'.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Good Acer rubrum.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Happy Halloween everyone! Great pics and color in this thread as well as the last. It has been one of the best fall turns in quite some time in my neck if the woods. It has been great driving around and seeing the glowing foliage everywhere.

A pic from our yard.
    {{gwi:464598}}

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Just a few updates {{gwi:464600}} The Beech with more fall color {{gwi:464604}} The Velutina it looks Reddish this year The Chestnut oak, about as yellow as it may get before leaf fall. {{gwi:464605}}

• terrene
    9 years ago

Thyme, your stairway is very lush and colorful!

The color around here is really fabulous this year. Yesterday while out driving I was stunned by one beautiful tree after another. The Acer rubrum is peaking, a couple trees are almost crayon red, and there are many beautiful yellows, even on a cloudy and dull day.

The prettiest tree in my yard right now is the Yellow wood. It's typically a dull yellow, this year is a pretty nice yellow. But it's hard to take a picture of it, and get a good angle, because it is flanked by several large trees (at least I removed the Norway maples that were crowding it some years ago).

This is the view from the small deck off my kitchen- big pin oak in front, with a suet feeder on it, and the yellowwood behind -

• terrene
    9 years ago

One of the smaller yellowwoods showing some color -

• terrene
    9 years ago

Saw this tree in front of a construction site, not the greatest backdrop but the yellow on this tree is so nice. Anybody know what kind of tree this is?? Sorry I forgot to get a close up on the leaves.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Looks like a ginkgo

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

I just want to thank everyone in this topic and the last for the GORGEOUS fall pics!!! I have thoroughly enjoyed each new post with new pics!

Unfortunately, this year will be about a 1 on a scale of 1-10 for fall color here. Even the Autumn Blaze who have NEVER disappointed me did absolutely NOTHING this year. Never seen anything like it.

Please keep the updates coming =)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Fall color is not too good this year on my place. Real dull, for the most part.
    I took this picture of some Western Larch in NW Montana last week. Cattle graze it a bit at times.
    Mike

• User
    9 years ago

From the KC area last week:

Yellowwood with the best fall color its ever had:
    {{gwi:464606}}

One of my smoketrees:
    {{gwi:464608}}

Another smoketree:
    {{gwi:464610}}

Blue ash. The lime turned to a soft yellow a couple of days later. This is the best it has ever colored.
    {{gwi:464612}}

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Bald cypress.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Wiseoldgus, your yellowwood has nice color. How old is that tree and has it started blooming yet? I read somewhere they take 20 years to bloom.

My big guy is about 50 years old and blooms every other year, and its oldest seedling is probably somewhere between 15-20 and no blooms yet.

• User
    9 years ago

Terrene,

I don't remember the age of my yellowwood but I'm guessing between 15-20. It first bloomed in 2010 and again in 2012. But it did not bloom last spring. Maybe this spring.

I got all the pictured trees including the yellowwood as twigs from Arborvillage. I really miss that place.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I took 3 pics at a place where I like to take walks at, but, pictures don't do it justice. I will look at the enlarged pictures, but i may only post the Gingko and Maple one. If there are 3 pics then the enlarged pics are good enough to post. It's breathtaking in person, but, may be underwhelming in a picture. The first 2 pics are red oak for the most part {{gwi:464613}} Okay the first 2 pics weren't very great, so Gingko and Maple it is. Whaas I love your Bald Cypress above, wonderful form and trunk flare. Nice color on the BC, Hairmetal, I think. Your Alba has brighter red than mine, hair, BTW. Mine is russet red, but, mine has a dull russet, like the leaves are dead and dry, and your's is still a bit bright and more "alive" for lack of a better word. And my Nuttall's oak never got posted, but I mentioned it. It will get brighter red, I'll post it then.Poaky1

• arktrees
    9 years ago

I'm with Jon, been a dud year for color here. Started out very promising, and then it got warm, then it got really warm, then it got really really warm and windy. That was that. Mid to upper 80's in mid to late October, just sucks for fall color. Autumn Blaze have always been super reliable for color here, and they simply did not look good at all. Some Sugar Maples still managed to color well, but many did not. Even Dogwoods, Sumac and Sassafras which are typically almost bullet proof, had issues this year.

Thanks to all of you for sharing.

Arktrees

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

For those of you who are having a dud of a year, has that been a trend, or is this a one-off thus far? Here in NH we've had a number of years in a row where the fall turn has been quite poor. This is the first year in probably four where it has been an excellent turn. I don't know the rhyme or reason for the lousy years of past, just ecstatic that it's finally a great year. I wish you all a fabulous turn next year!!

The oaks are so gorgeous right now. Too bad the maples get so much credit during fall foliage time. The oaks can be just as beautiful, and it's nice they are later so we get extended color.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

whaas
    What is the growth rate per year on those apollo sugar maples?

• arktrees
    9 years ago

For me the last truly great color years were 2007 & 2008. 2009 & 2010 were duds (too wet and cloudy), 2011 was very good despite a summer from hell, 2012 (another summer from hell) & 2013 was good. So for me it has been all over the board.

Arktrees

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Red Rock Canyon State Park, Oklahoma

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Red Rock Canyon

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Caddo maples

• Elektron
    9 years ago

My pictures ended up looking washed out for some reason. They looked so much better on my phone.

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Eletron,
    Picture in general often look washed out. Part of it is that the human brain processes and remembers more intense color, and part of it is due to the camera/phone. Devices VARY ALLOT in how they take pics unless manually adjusted. When I posted fall pics allot I would make a blanket adjustment to all pics when downloaded because I knew what that particular camera's tendency was. Also mid day pics will look washed out as well.

Arktrees

• arktrees
    9 years ago

I would like to add a couple things to my post above about dud year for fall color. Namely what my best coloring plants have been, and it's a short list.

Good to excellent color:
    Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum 'Mariesii'
    Hydrangea quercifolia 'Ruby Slippers'
    Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'
    Acer truncatum 2nd yr seedling
    Acer saccharum 'Bailsta' FALL FIESTA
    Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold'

Fair to good:
    Acer triflorum
    Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry
    Cotinus obovatus

Everything else was poor or has not changed. Those that have not changed will likely be very poor to just fdropping leaves (i.e. Princeton Sentry Ginkgo) due to a low of 18F last weekend.

Arktrees

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

We had pretty good year for color here.

The Maples were better than last year (which was also good), some of the late rubrums are just now coloring up nicely, but most of the Sugars are bare or nearly so.

Oaks are coming in nicely. The Scarlet oaks look good, pins are above-average. N. Red not as good as last year,White Oaks a bit more russetty vs the pinkish tones of last year, but overall looking good. Most oaks still have quite a bit of green but are turning quickly now.

The leguminous trees in general colored quite well - Redbuds, Yellowwood, Honeylocust, even Black Locusts that didn't get defoliated by the locust leafminer did well. I saw a few Gymnocladus that colored nicely too - all good yellows.

Hickories were great as usual, still hanging on but now more brown-yellow than bright yellow. The Liriodendrons are mostly all but bare but some yellow still hanging on.

Baldcypress now coloring nicely, but my Dawn Redwoods as well as others around are still entirely green, but I expect them to color up quickly here in the next week or two.

We haven't had a freeze here yet, believe it or not. Sunday night was supposed to - we had clear skies and dewpoints in the teens, but a stiff west wind kept the air mixed and we only got to 35. This weekend might freeze though - Saturday looks clear with highs in the mid 40s.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Another pondcypress. Shumard oak left & behind, just starting to turn scarlet -- quite a bit later than typical Shumards.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

That Shumard looks as good as a Scarlet Oak - is that the one you think might be a hybrid?

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Right, hair. I favor Nuttall oak as its hybrid companion because of the early emergence and late leaf-fall. Scarlet oak would explain the color & twiggyness, but not the other characteristics. Some were posting here just recently about Nuttall oaks & their late-color-turning & overwinter leaf-retention like mine.

Will get a pic when it gets to full color....

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Speaking of ambiguous oaks...

This view said Scarlet...

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

But close up, looks to be not quite right...

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

This one is a Scarlet oak...not a pin.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Sweetgum holding on.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Sugar maples. Most are bare but some still hold on.