Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcb59

Japanese beetle damage

bcb59
9 years ago

I am a new homeowner and would greatly appreciate help understanding the effects of Japanese beetles on my new trees. Late last fall the builder planted two new street trees on our property. They never told us what kind of tree they were. I kept them watered from the time they were planted to give them the best chance. Then, in early July we had a Japanese beetle infestation. As soon as I saw this I researched what to do and found a spray to apply. Still, the tops of these trees were completely skeletonized. There were other trees in our neighborhood that were similarly affected. But, my two trees never grew back the leaves on the top like all the other trees did. The builder put in a variety of trees and it seems that the ones we got are different. Lucky us I guess.

My question, will these two trees come back to life in the Spring? Or, are the tops just dead if the leaves never came back in over four months? I purchased a book on trees and believe the leaves and trunk match a common linden. These trees are about 10 feet tall. We live in southeastern PA. Again, the top half of both trees have not had leaves since July.

Thank you

Comments (2)