Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bstr72

Oak tree id help

bstr72
9 years ago

Could some one help id this variety please?

This post was edited by bstr72 on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 7:25

Comments (11)

• bstr72
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A trunk shot.

This post was edited by bstr72 on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 7:26

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Q. Acutissima, Q. Michauxxi, Q. Muehlenbergii, and less likely Q. Bicolor. Where is the tree at? Is it in Asia? If it is, I think there are many asian oaks out there. It makes me think it is Sawtooth (acutisima), but I am interested in oaks, but they have so many hybrids and leaf shapes, it is hard to know for sure a leaf you think looks like an oak you have in your yard, is actually that same tree. There may be only acorns as a identifier showing your (example) black oak isn't really a Northern Red oak Q. Rubra. I hope I haven't confused you more than you were when you posted your question. But if you have acorns along with the picture to ID the tree, that will likely help anyone trying to help you.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I meant to add, if you have access to the tree now, take clearer pics if possible. There may be someone who can use your pics just fine, but I see the pics as rather blurry. Poaky1

• bstr72
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, this tree is an ornamental planting in a park in western NY, USA. I've updated the photos to be clear. Not sure what happened the first time I posted them. Thanks!

This post was edited by bstr72 on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 7:28

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Not a sawtooth.

Oaks are naughty little buggers and like to hybridize. Which is what I'm going to guess, it looks to me like a Saul's oak, Quercus X saulii, which is an alba X prinus (White x Chestnut Oak) hybrid.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Saul's oak would be my guess too. Chestnut oak's fall color is generally yellow (white oak's is reddish), so the yellow-red leaf-margins seem to support that.

Very nice-looking oak whatever it is.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

"Q. Acutissima, Q. Michauxxi, Q. Muehlenbergii, and less likely Q. Bicolor."

Lobes are cut far too deep to be any of those.

Consider Quercus cerris or Q. frainetto

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Q.frainetto gets my vote.

• dricha
    9 years ago

It looks more like Q. cerris. Q. frainetto leaves are wider than that.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

A true Chestnut Oak, or likely, a hybrid involving one, probably wouldn't be that happy growing that close to the water. So maybe it's not a Sauls.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Hair, I've seen Chestnut oaks growing by streams & bottomlands & they do fine, in fact that's where they get the biggest. They have a reputation for dry soils, but aren't bothered by high water tables unless the soil is poorly drained. Mine's in a high water-table area & grows fine. Like white oak, they can grow from windswept ridgetops & steep, rocky slopes to stream borders & bottomlands. The only thing is that they get out-competed in moister soils by faster-growing, moisture-loving trees -- they're not shade tolerant.