Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korenhome

Tabebuia Imp. ... What are these spots?

D K
9 years ago

I just planted this tree a week ago and didn't notice all the spots until now. Should I be concerned? How do I treat the tree?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a tree of central america... link

since you havent gotten anything from us..

MAYBE... the tropical plant forum will help???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Black spot is a fungus. You may need to apply a fungicide for control. It appears from what I can see in your photo, that the tree is in full sun and has good air circulation. Is the soil well-draining? Too wet at the feet can be a problem for this species, causing the battle with leaf spot to be an ongoing one.

It could also be the time of year, although mine tends to do their leaf dump around February. These trees do not always loose their leaves for very long, unless they are blooming. Most of mine drop everything within 7-10 days, then bloom like crazy for weeks or months. But other specimens will hang on to many leaves while blooming, especially if is a lighter season. I have noticed that some of my trees alternate heavy bloom years with lighter ones.

• D K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ken & Gry! I do have clay soil and I know it's pretty saturated. I will stop the sprinklers in that area and water the roses nearby by hand and just keep an eye on it. Thank you again!

Here's another picture of the base of the tree. The mulch around is rubber.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

It was late when I wrote the first reply, so it was not composed as clearly as it could have been; and just Xed the wrong window and lost the second one, so this rushed redo may be no better. :)

I prefer correcting underlying conditions that cause problems, or even removing plant material that cannot handle the situation without a fight with disease and pests. The reference to fungicide application in my previous post was a response to your question about "How do I treat the tree", rather than the course of action I would take. The current spots are likely stress related. But I included the conditions that can be a problem with this species getting leaf spots so you could make necessary soil amendments, or move the tree to a more suitable location, now.

Remember that the roots are still only within the soil mix of the nursery container at this early stage and will dry out at a different rate from the surrounding garden soil. The mulch you are using might compound the clay soil problem by keeping it too wet for this tree. As with most landscape plants, the mulch should also be removed from contact with the trunk.

Pink trumpet trees are semi-deciduous to briefly deciduous. Individual specimens, especially in mild winter years, may not shed most of their leaves.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I can't comment on your tree - not familiar with it. But I would suggest you reconsider using rubber mulch. It is not a good product to use in a landscape setting. It leaches a number of heavy metals, zinc being one of most concern, and if you are in an area prone to fires, it is highly flammable.

Here is a link that might be useful: issues with rubber mulch