Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zooba72

Is it too Late to Plant Kwanzan Cherry Tree?

zooba72
10 years ago

I'm located on Long Island, the temperatures are hovering around freezing at night with the weather forecast predicting temps in the 30's and maybe a dip into the 20's. Can I still plant a Kwanzan Cherry Tree? or would it be better to wait until Spring? I was advised once before that this is still a good time to plant ... Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you

Comments (11)

• famartin
    10 years ago

Yeah you can still plant it as long as the ground isn't frozen.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think I'm better off waiting for spring? Thanks for the response.

• famartin
    10 years ago

No, though it may seem strange to someone not familiar with plant growth habits, autumn is optimal for planting. Tops go dormant but root growth continues for quite some time. This is ideal since it gives the roots a good head-start before heavy water usage begins in the spring.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I totally agree. Woody plants (trees and shrubs) do very well if planted in the late fall/winter in your climate. Your plant will not be better off if you wait until spring.

Just follow best planting practices regarding hole size, planting depth, and zero ammendments (peat or compost) used in the hole, etc.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I totally agree. Woody plants (trees and shrubs) do very well if planted in the late fall/winter in your climate. Your plant will not be better off if you wait until spring.

Just follow best planting practices regarding hole size, planting depth, and zero ammendments (peat or compost) used in the hole, etc.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

let me put it to you this way ..

presuming you have it..

it has a better chance of living thru winter in mother earth..

than it does relying on you to prefect winter care of the pot..

PLANT IT TODAY!!!!

and no loving it to death.. do it according to the directions at the link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• zooba72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, thanks everyone! Appreciate the consistent answers.

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

While I agree that this is a fine time to plant there is a small caveat here. that assumes the tree you are planting is already ready for the fall/winter conditions. If it has been recently shipped in from a warmer area or has been kept in a warm greenhouse, you may want to let it acclimate in a sheltered area so it can catch up with the season in your area.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

sam_md - why do you say those cherries are too close to the driveway?

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Kwanzans are used here as street and parking lot trees because their branches go up at such a high angle. They're also used as landscape trees in people's gardens for the same reason, their footprint is smaller than the wide spreading varieties.
    They don't look too close to the drive for me.
    That said, they're not one of my favorite cherry trees, too large and coarse for the average garden. In addition, some understock used is a sprouting nightmare and the only time they look good is when they're blooming, in my opinion.
    Mike

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths