Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Where To Order Trees?

I am interested in growing some young trees - oaks, maples, etc. Don't know where to order - can anyone suggest some sources? I live in east Texas. Thanks.....
Judith

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how big are you looking for??

is mail order an option ..

what type are you looking for beyond the generic oak/maple ...??

whats your soil type???

ken

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was looking for reputable mail order firms - I grow/order roses and daylilies but don't know companies that offer trees. Not looking for huge trees - something that can be easily mailed and planted. Would like a source for black gums, different kinds of maples, different oaks. My soil varies on my place [have 30 acres] from post oak to loamy to a little bit sandy. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Judith

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Judith,
    I really like Pine Ridge Gardens of London, Ar. The owner (Mary Ann) will happily tell you if she is not happy with something that she has that you may be interested in. I was going to get a Swamp White Oak for a friend a year or so ago, and she told me she would not recommend them, as she was not happy with the plants at the moment. Suggested an alternative that was actually better. Has ALLOT of species, some difficult to find, and fair shipping cost. Downside, tends to be 1 and some 2 gallon plants that she ships. Also relatively few name cultivars. Last I looked she had more than one species of Blackgum.

Arktees

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Ridge Gardens

• mattm01
    10 years ago

Take a look at Almost Eden, Nearly Native and Nativ nurseries. I've been please with many small trees I've purchased from them and they have several unique trees that should do well in East Texas. Mexican Sugar Maple, Chalk Maple, Southern Surgar Maple etc

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Stephen F Austin State University has plant sale every spring and fall. You will find various trees at reasonable price.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

For special western or desert oaks Oaks of the wild west. I got my Quercus Fusiformis there a few yrs ago, they have a website, but I had to order over the phone, they are located in Arizona.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

A few, somewhat random, mail-order tree nurseries:

A Nearly Native Nursery (absolutely outstanding Garden Watchdog rating) www.nearlynativenursery.com

Almost Eden (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) almostedenplants.com

Broken Arrow Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) www.brokenarrownursery.com

Camellia Forest Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) www.camforest.com

Forestfarm (very good Garden Watchdog rating, great selection but sometimes some issues with plant quality) www.forestfarm.com

Greer Gardens (very good Garden Watchdog rating) www.greergardens.com

Kansas Native Plants (limited but excellent Garden Watchdog rating) www.kansasnativeplants.com

Mail-Order Natives (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) www.mailordernatives.com

Mason Hollow Nursery (very good Garden Watchdog rating) www.masonhollow.com

Nebraska Statewide Arboretum (no Garden Watchdog rating, yet, but they sound committed to a great experience) arboretum.unl.edu

Rare Find Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) www.rarefindnursery.com

Rolling River Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) www.rollingrivernursery.com

Shooting Star Nursery (pretty good Garden Watchdog rating) shootingstarnursery.com

• joeschmoe80
    10 years ago

All good suggestions. Another good one if you like plants in root pruning containers - which have been discussed on some other threads lately - Sooner Plant Farm.

A bit pricey, esp. with shipping (but probably no worse than others) but they have a great selection of maples, redbuds, Crape Myrtles, and a few others. A lot of their stock is in Smart Pots - I got a few maples from them this year and all looked great - no circling, not in the pots too long as far as I could tell, healthy tops. They do sell slightly larger plants - as big as 7-footers in some cases, big for mail-order.

I've heard that the non-smartpot stock (which they get from another supplier) can be pretty rootbound though.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

Lawyer nursery has a large selection on both native and fruit trees. You can buy wholesale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawyer Nursery

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

30 acres - if you're looking for 'bulk' quantities, most states operate one or more Division of Forestry/Conservation/Environment forestry nurseries, growing locally-adapted (usually grown from locally-collected seed) trees, at very low package prices.
    Not necessarily where I'd go for 'specimen' trees, but if I were doing a reforestation project, and wanted trees of local provenance, that'd be my first stop. If they don't have what you're looking for, they can probably direct you to an appropriate source.

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU Forestry Service

• Pamchesbay
    10 years ago

Hi Judith:

In 2008, I began a reforestation project and received fine advice about how to do this - and favorite trees - from people on this forum.

I ordered seedlings from many different places including state nurseries in VA, NC and TX. I was hesitant to order seedlings from the East Texas because I live in SE VA. They had good varieties at an excellent price so I decided it was a risk worth taking.

In the end, the East Texas State Nursery in Indian Mound was a favorite - in the top 3 list. I ordered 50 Nuttall, 50 Swamp Chestnut, and 50 Overcup oaks and 50 bald cypress seedlings from East Texas. Their seedlings were healthy and 2-3 times larger than the seedlings from other states. The survival rate has been excellent. Most of these oaks and cypresses are well over 20' tall now, and growing like weeds.

I believe the Indian Mound nursery closed in 2009. Don't know if it has reopened. The Texas Forestry Service offers reforestation services to folks in East Texas so you may want to see if they can help you. http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=17000

Also check out the Oklahoma Forestry Seedling Store - they have a good variety of hardwoods and conifers (link below)

As you are deciding what to plant, be sure to put Nuttall oaks on your list. They are strong, have good form, and spectacular color in the Fall.

Good luck!
    Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Seedling Store

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I'll add a few more: prices low to high.

Reeseville Ridge Nursery
    All positive remarks on The Garden Watchdog

Woodlanders
    Mostly positive ratings on The Garden Watchdog. Very rare plant material at very fair prices. South Carolina.

Whitman Farms
    Rare findings, however higher prices. That one of a kind you're looking for. 99.9% positive feedback on The Garden Watchdog.

Dax

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, you all, for all the great suggestions - I am having fun looking at all of them. I used to get my trees from the nursery at Indian Mound - sorry it closed. It was very close to me. Now, will have to order. That's no problem - I order roses and daylilies. Now is good time to plant in my area, so will get busy and order. Thanks again!!
    Judith