Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twotone_gw

what is the tallest cedar tree

twotone
9 years ago

Hello I live around the Toronto Ontario region I think zone 5 they call it.I have a apartment building going beside me and it has destroyed my resale value.So I need to line my property with the tallest privacy trees I can get I think the Leyland cypress cedar or the green giant cedar are what I need.But don't know were to get them or knough if they will grow in this area.Any one knough anything about were to get and will they grow in this region thanks for any help.

Comments (14)

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Hi Twotone,
    Here is a row of Leyland Cypress in Maryland (mid-Atlantic USA) after this past winter. We are USDA zone 7. I would not recommend that they be planted here and definitely not for you.
    {{gwi:469200}}

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Two, look into the Thuja occidentalis cultivar 'Hetz', also called 'Hetz Wintergreen'. These will be perfectly winter-hardy for your area, will not have disease or insect issues, and grow surprisingly fast, with a very narrow, conical habit. Check em out!

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what is the size of your property???

GGs get rather wide at the bottom.. by the time they get to 15 feet tall ...

ken

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

twoto

According to this map
    Ont.Interactive Plant Hardiness Zone Map
    Toronto is zone 6a-6b
    Are you planning on selling property soon? - it may take a while for trees to grow tall enough...Rina

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

That page doesn't appear to say whether it is showing Canadian or USDA Hardiness Zones.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

That's true, bboy...hopefully I didn't make mistake by using it. I used that link since it's showing temps in F...(for benefit of most members on GW that are used to F) and I paid attention more to the temps they indicate and that appear to be 'right on'.

From reading this blog:
    Toronto Gardens:
    (the simple explanation is:
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture or USDA system is simple: it's based solely on average annual minimum temperatures. (This mimimum temperature system is followed by most other countries.)

Although Canada considers a larger range of factors than the USDA, we still talk about zones in terms of temperatures: the lower the number, the colder the climate. Both systems also subdivide zones with a letter (a or b). So, Zone 6a is little "colder" than Zone 6b.

In Canadian terms, Toronto is broadly Zone 6; in USDA terms, it's Zone 5. Our closeness to the Great Lakes moderates temperature highs and lows and increases precipitation.

Within the GTA, the specifics of your landscape can push you higher or lower. Close to Lake Ontario, you're more likely to be Zone 6b and might have a microclimate (a pocket that is a zone unto itself) that's Zone 7. In a more exposed situation, or farther from the lake, you might be Canadian Zone 5a or 5b.)

Using Agriculture Canada site (type in address, then click on 'Legend' in upper left corner):
    see here
    it seems to be correct. I hope so...But, for US readers I probably should use z5 since that's temps they would relate to? Correct me if I am wrong pls.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 12:21

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

USDA zoning is broad enough that somebody having an entire zone more or less on one part of their property (or neighborhood) than another seems most unlikely - it is a pretty big jump from one USDA zone to another. When we travel from one zone to another entire different sets of common plants appear in the general landscape (or disappear from it, depending on whether we are going to a warmer or a colder zone) because each zone represents that much of a change.

For example leaving my USDA 8 and entering USDA 9 results in the appearance of certain palms and other sub-tropicals as landscape staples that are never seen up here, be it California or Florida (I've been to both).

• slimwhitman
    9 years ago

You might find this evergreen list helpful from Kansas City. We are in the same hardiness zone. The max sizes are expert opinions for KC's climate and may get larger for you. The ratings are also specific to KC, so these rating may be a bit harsh for your conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Evergreen Trees for KC

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Whenever, I've looked into the difference between AgCanada zones and USDA zones, I've come away with the idea that there isn't much difference, at least in the eastern parts. The AgCanada zones for southeastern Ontario merge right into the USDA zones for northern New York. If they were different systems, you would expect to not have the same zones on both sides of the Niagara River. This is, of course, ignoring the whole weirdness of AgCanada zones listed by C, but going by 5F increments.

I think what throws people is the idea of USDA zone 7 existing on the shores of the Great Lakes. There is a massive underestimating of how much the lakes affect the climate in that area. So going from Presque Isle on (in?) the shore of Lake Erie to a place 100 miles south can take you from zone 7 to zone 5 (it also puts you below the Erie snow belt)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Toronto downtown and near the lake would be a solid 6a, even approaching 6b in some pockets. In the 'burbs (both inner and outer), USDA zone drops to 5b (6a in some pockets).

Leyland Cypress is a lost cause though...temperature might be fine but duration of cold and frozen soil would do it in. 'Green Giant' or 'Spring Grove' Thujas would work but their fast growth is in optimum growing conditions (high soil fertility, consistently moist soil, and a very long growing season).

A Norway spruce would likely grow at a similar rate to the 'Green Giant' in Toronto for the same conditions and would probably be more reliable. Picea abies 'Cupressina' is a narrow form.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

'Cupressina' produces ascending branches but is not skinny. One planted in Illinois during 1928 was 48' tall by 1986.

• twotone
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to every one for there opinions your a awsome group I will look into all the info and my property is 120 by 50 thanks again.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you plant most anything.. that achieves height.. on each side of a 50 foot wide lot ....

you wont have much left in the middle.. inside a decade or two ..

ken

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I'll go back to +om's suggestion: Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz' aka 'Hetz Wintergreen'. The perfect tree for this landscape. At 30 years old they are 35 feet tall and 6-8' wide.

Spacing them 4' apart will achieve a quick screen that will stay dense. I wouldn't consider anything else.

One caution: Musser Forest Nursery sells seedlings which you may only read in the fine print. They do not sell the true cultivar. Do not purchase from Musser Forest (if they even sell to Canada). If Evergreen Nursery in the USA sells and ships to Canada, they are the least expensive source while providing excellent plant material and roots. Hopefully Canada has sources for these.

Dax