Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

temperatures at which leaves freeze of different trees

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

This morning, woke up to a 23 degree freeze. Our first "official" freeze was late, only last week and we hit 30, which was enough to knock out annuals but didn't affect much else.

This morning, it appears my seedling Metasequoias (started this April), which were only just starting to show fall color, will probably defoliate as the foliage is now limp with the sun hitting them. Except the one closest to the house (they're in containers) which looks fine. Oddly, the big Meta across the street, already in full color, so far looks OK, but it will be easier to tell later today as temps warm up more. Obviously the trees are fine, I just mean the foliage.

My oak leaves appear unscathed so far, and in my past experience a freeze to the low 20s is what it takes to singe the foliage of deciduous oaks in fall.

Is there any sort of chart that shows the temperatures in both spring and fall at which various trees show leaf damage?

My experiences are as such:

Oaks - in spring, emerging oak foliage can be damaged by upper 20s if it's below freezing all night, but in fall they can take as cold as 20 without much damage, especially if already turned color.

Maples - Fairly sensitive in spring, mid-upper 20s will do the leaves in. In fall hard to tell - rubrums can singe easily but saccharums and platanoides seems less sensitive to freezes (although the majority of saccharums are bare before we hit hard freezes here most years). Palmatum and other small maples seem to be intermediate. I've heard that truncatum leaves can take some ridiculous freezes without damage.

Aesculus - VERY freeze tolerant. I had an A. glabra in Ohio in FULL LEAF tolerate 18 degrees with zero visible damage. In fall they're always bare before the first hard frost even if they don't get scorch.

Catalpa - freeze sensitive. First official freeze, even if only down to 31-32 degrees, usually singes them. Much colder kills leaves entirely. Not so sure for spring since they leaf out late-ish. Same is true for the similar looking but unrelated Paulownia, but Paulownia is probably even a bit more sensitive.

Metasequoia - pretty senstive both spring and fall. I've seen a 28 degree freeze damage emerging foliage fairly severely, but I've also seen them survive 25, it probably has to do with duration of cold and wind. In fall it seems similar.

The worst fall freeze I saw as far as affecting fall foliage was in Akron, OH in 1991. Early November, oaks especially but other trees were still green, many other trees at peak or just past peak. Low of 13 degrees ended it all. It seems that it took almost to Christmas for the dead, crispy, and in many cases, still green leaves to fall from the trees.

Any input?

Comments (13)

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

It was a balmy 9 degrees this morning. The cold is ridiculous due to how early and persistent it is. My soil is completely froze. With temps averaging 15-20 below average for close to 2/3rds of November, can you tell I'm excited for winter? If we had some snow I'd be happy but its bare out there.

We had an exceptional number of freezes in October but it never dipped below 28. Surprisingly I didn't see any trees affected by it. As you saw we had some nice color.

I think one very important factor is how warm or cool it is prior to the freezes.

For example Ginkgo is very sensitive but never dropped during these temps. Key factor is that it was cool through late September and October so probably started the process early.

Other years they just dropped green but thats when we have plenty warm weather in the 70s during September and early October.

The only species that was relatively undamaged during those nasty spring freezes in 2012 was Aesculus.

Acer palmatum and some larch where the only ones that did not recover.

• ginkgonut
    9 years ago

Catalpas are frost sensitive in the spring. We got a frost in early may a few years back after the crazy warm March/April and it burned them.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Interesting write-up. I would assume that with most deciduous species, the changing fall foliage would be at least somewhat more freeze tolerant because of the presumed accumulation of secondary metabolites. The plant is finished sucking the "good stuff" - water and sugars back into the roots. It cuts off this connection, but until the chlorophyll is fully degraded presumably some sugars continue to be made. Except moisture is decreasing because the plant is no longer pumping it up but pulling it down. So fall leaves seem to shrink and dessicate, I assume what ions are present gets concentrated. Thus providing at least a degree of freezing point depression. I could be wrong though because I don't find anything about this when googling. It seems to make sense, but I wasn't really paying attention in plant physiology class. (one of the worst professors I had in college)

23F? Brrrr. Just went outside, still see flowers on: Thunbergia vine, Phygelius, Delospermas, Nerines although they are almost done for the year, and Origanum 'Kent Beauty'. (yes, both the bract and the real flower intact) The top of the Thunbergia though is showing some additional burning after what happened a week ago. It's the flowers right near the ground that are still OK. So I'd say there was some formation of frost but not prolonged temps below 30F.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 12:22

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Is it just me or do freezing temps also push fall colors towards pale and yellow? My nyssa was red until this week when its colors went pale red. Same for a couple viburnum cultivars.

• User
    9 years ago

Then, there are the broad-leaved evergreens (holly trees, evergreen magnolias, etc.) that do not change despite the freezing. Deciduous ones? My Japanese 'Bloodgood' maple is still in full leaf as prematurely COLD as it is!

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

I have seen some oak seedlings retain leaves all thru a Z8 winter and have had Bur Oak seedlings color red. These "fawn spot" colors and winter hardy leaves all seem to disappear by age 3 or so.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Scot, are you referring to non-marcescence species?

Nice red fall color is usually seen on many Oak seedlings.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Took some observations after the early (for me) freeze.

The most freeze resistant deciduous tree in my garden is Cornus florida urbiniana. Leaves are only about 1/2 red, but the freeze did not affect them at all. I know from prior years it will peak around early December and they will finally fall off by January. OTOH, Japanese maple leaves have all shriveled up from the cold and will fall soon. (and btw, flowers of Camellia 'Mason Farm' not at all freeze resistant. All turned to mush, I'd mentioned in another thread they've never really bit hit by freezing because it usually finishes blooming by Thanksgiving.) The next most resistant, Fagus 'Rotundifolia'; which is always late to turn in fall and very late to leaf out in spring.

Finally, driving around I see a couple Taxodiums I know of, whose orange-brown leaves also appear not to be bothered by freezes, and are a little showier than most of the late-hanging oak leaves, most of which are a rather plain and unattractive brown. (like paper bags hanging) In fact comparing my Metasequoia 'Ogon' to Taxodium, it looks like the Taxodium foliage is a little more freeze resistant. Might just be because they are old specimens, though.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My oak seedlings, Q. coccinea and Q. michauxii, the leaves are still alive. I'm a bit shocked as we got to 17 Tuesday night/Wednesday AM.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Most trees quickly turn color or defoliate after repeated freezings, but my Shumard/Nuttall oak seems indifferent & actually about full scarlet now, tho a bit subdued this yr. It seems to like repeated frosts for the color to develop. Then it holds on to almost every browned leaf thru the winter.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's interesting, beng.

Most mature oaks whose leaves were still "moist" (since many oaks retain color as the leaves become dry), now have visible leaf "damage" from the freeze (I hesitate to call it damage as they're going dormant regardless) as I survey. The Sawtooth oaks which were just getting yellow are now crispy looking in some cases. Most oaks were already in the colored but drying phase, except some Scarlets which look "Okay" but with some either freeze damage or some natural drying starting to set in.

However, my little seedlings, while mostly red (with some green still) look as if nothing happened.

The Metasequoias for the most part that had turned look the same, but the ones that still had some green are now dark/limp/crispy.

The sweetgum leaves are dried looking now and were still firm and pliable (regardless of color) just a few days ago, so I'd guess the freeze did it.

A lot of the still-green understory shrubs are now crispy or wilted as well.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

hair, yeah, driving the other day showed the only good color left on slopes were -- scarlet oaks. That way I could identify the number and location of scarlet oaks.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup - still some good Scarlet Oak color around. There are a few colored clingers on some red maples, but they're dried and pale now.