Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Production

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 8:10

20 miles east of Raleigh NC
While this is only the third fall we have lived in this area, it seems like our leaf crop this year has been a lot larger than usual. The last two season we have had barely enough leaves to mulch our flower beds. This fall they are mulched and I have extra and looking for places to put them.

Are others experiencing a bumper corp of leaves this fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Production

Trees get bigger each year, hence, more leaves.

Years ago I was reading a book titled 'Plants are like People' by Jerry Baker, who bills himself as 'America's Master Gardener'. In that book he tells where he measured how many bushel baskets of leaves he collected from a tree. Every year the count went up, but slowly. Then he got the bright idea of hitting the trunk with a whip, giving it a good beating. Lo and behold, that year there was a significant increase in the amount of bushel baskets of leaves he collected. He attributed the increase to stress.
That's when I put the book down and said BS.
Have you been spanking your trees? :-)
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here