Houzz Logo Print
gauras_gw

White growth on cherry tree bark

gauras
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

I am seeing some white growth on my cherry

tree bark.

Is this some kind of fungus? What do I do about it?

Is it harmful for the tree?

I am attaching some pictures.

Thanks,

{{gwi:469960}}
{{gwi:469961}}

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

is the tree otherwise healthy????

does the tree pre-date the driveway.. and perhaps the house .. was it recently built ... in other words.. was it substantially harmed in building of the house ...

more facts please ...

ken

• gauras
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ken,
    The whole history of this tree can be found in
    the attached URL

It was subjected to some stress last year during a
    landscaping project.

Thanks,

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Tree Vigor

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

I only see those white things (mushroom type fungus?) on the stumps of dead trees. If yours isn't dead already, it will undoubtedly soon be - sorry!
    If it's a wild black cherry/prunus serotina, you can do like Alabama said and plant another one and get a mature tree fairly quickly - they grow like weeds!
    Sherry

• jean001
    15 years ago

Well, that sort of fungal structures are indeed found on dead wood. So, in this case, that part of the tree is dead.

Whether or not the tree will survive depends upon a number of things, among them, just how much of the tree is dead.

• jean001
    15 years ago

I should have visited that web site you linked prior to posting.

Lots of suggestions there. Don't see that any will work because the tree has had too many insults.

Just a few
    -- That circling root should have been cut at planting.
    -- The extra soil should never have been added around the tree.
    -- Oozing sap in cherry trees has more origins than from borers. A very likely possibility is bacterial canker. Not good.

I suggest you consider removing it before it topples. Then decide what sort of tree you want and replant a fresh, young, vigorous specimen soon.

15 years ago

this is going to hurt ....

THIS IS THE PRIME TREE OF YOUR HOUSE!!!!

it has to go ... now ....

if you do it now.. in 5 years.. you can have a well established prime specimen that offsets and compliments your beautious house ...

or ...

you can fool around with a dying tree for 5 years... and probably end up starting over in 5 years...

your choice ...

IF IT WERE ME .... it would be gone in a couple hours ....

as soon as the ground thaws ... if it freezes ... i would go shopping for a new specimen tree ... something that will make your toes curl .. something more size appropriate to your lot size .. and something that will make a great statement ...

right now.. the only thing this tree is saying ... two things...

my owner is overly attached to a dying tree ...

and

i am dying ...

attached below .. is a picture of one tree.. that may or may not fit in your yard... but is presented to show you the possibilities that replacement will bring ... ignore the dwarf ... lol

sorry for the bad news .... good luck

ken
    {{gwi:242702}}

{{gwi:242703}}

PPS: its a tricolor beech .... with only two colors.. lol ...

• gauras
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks folks,
    I realized I may have to bring down the tree. It is really a beautiful yoshino cherry.

Now regarding my options. Can I stump grind this tree and
    plant another one say a tricolor beech as Ken mentions in
    the same spot? Do I need to remove the clipping after the
    stump grinding and fill the hole with top soil?

Is stump grinding expensive? How much will it cost to
    bring down a tree of this size and stump grind it?

Also ken if you could give the botanical name and the
    species of the beech tree I would be thankful

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    15 years ago

Another word of advice, don't automatically go for the biggest tree you find. Smaller trees transplant alot easier and will probably have less root problems. If you buy a potted tree I suggest dunking the whole rootball in a tub of water and gently washing out all of the potting soil. Then you'll be able to see the roots and you can prevent any circling. I do this with every tree I plant now and they always thrive afterwards.

15 years ago

link below

i dont grind stumps .. so no info that way .. and i am sure everything is more expensive in NJ .... get numerous estimates.. wouldnt be surprised if prices vary by $1000 ... like 200 to 1200 ...

and there are many options other than the beech .... maybe a new post with a better picture of the house, asking other suggestions.. will open up many other possibilities that i am not familiar with.. for your zone ...

i would buy in the 2 to 4 foot range ... as noted.. bigger trees.. have bigger problems.. trying to get established...

its probably past perfect planting time.. so you have all winter for choosing the replacement... but it can probably be removed any time in winter.. in your zone .... sometimes its cheaper in the off season ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Pamchesbay
    15 years ago

gauras - Don't assume stump grinding is expensive. Prices are all over the map. We lost more than 100 trees to a hurricane. The stumps were about $50 a piece to grind but it was a big job.

People who do tree work are looking for any job they can get. As Ken suggested, get several estimates. You're likely to find some good deals.

Ken - whose the little red head? He's a cutie.