Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astro2015

Live oak moss?

astro2015
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I live in a new home development where the builder put three live oak trees in everyone's yard (trunk about 4" diameter). I have a green mossy like growth all over the bark of my trees, yet both of my neighbors do not. A few questions:

1) what is it? Spanish moss or something else?
2) can I get rid of it (per wife request)?
3) why me, and not my neighbors?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

lichens on a tree might be an indicator of slow growth. Do your trees look less vigorous than your neighbours, or do they appear about the same?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

boy a scale would sure help .. that looks like a foot wide trunk.. and i am suspect of it being a recent transplant ...

lichens are have no impact on a tree.. and indicate nothing other than lack of pollution in the air ...

this does not look like lichens to me ... not anything like those i am aware of in MI ... but maybe they are ... see link ... maybe add you state to the search ....

it might help.. to know where you are ...

why you .. most likely its personal ... lol

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

Live Oaks - could be Ball moss (Tillandsia recurvata), a close relative of Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides).

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball moss

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Both lichens and Spanish moss are non-parastic epiphytic plants that are just looking for a good perch. They do no harm to the host plant but in the case of lichen, can be a symptom of other issues.

The growth in the photo looks more like spanish moss (tillandsia) than it does lichen but lichen comes in many forms, some that are very wispy and hairy looking like in the photo. Removal of either is unnecessary and can actually harm the host with the efforts to remove.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

It is definitely lichen, and, as Huggorm said, it might be an indicator of slow growth. Although lichen isn't the cause of the problems, it is sometimes an indicator of a less healthy tree (especially on a young tree like this).

It appears that your turf may go right up to the base of this tree. How about giving us a picture of the tree's base? Is there a root flare evident? Have you considered removing the turf and adding a mulched area?

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I may be wrong, but it looks like Spanish moss, which is the very epitome of a southern grown Live oak tree (Quercus Virginiana), I have seen it when I went to Florida a few times over the last 6 years. I do love the look of the moss on the tree, it is an "Iconic" thing when I think "live oak tree", but, IN MY OPINION, it can be "too much" on some trees. I have seen beautiful live oaks of great size and age, be "overcome" to the point of covering the live oaks enough to kill them. I see these pics of trees almost defoliated from the moss, and think, why doesn't someone do some (much needed) damage control. Well, sorry, to the OP, some moss is picturesque, but, too much is going to result in the death of an, usually old valuable tree. I say use common sense.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Again, the picture above is of lichen (for sure) and won't hurt the tree.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Poaky, it's not Spanish Moss but both foliose and fruticose lichen. Very common!! on Live Oaks, though they should not be present on properly grown nursery specimens.

I think that it's a shame that live oaks are still being planted ad nauseum in new construction. They aren't good shade providers and not even attractive until they're 100 years old. It's a lazy builder's choice.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Okay Rhizo, you should know, you're the southerner not me. I will say though, I've seen them in the south and don't see where they aren't good shade providers, and do hope that they are still planted where there is room. I guess if they are getting disease (oak wilt) of course don't plant them. I'm sure you see so many you don't appreciate them, not to be a smartass, but, when I got to visit the south, I loved each one I saw But, if I had seen them everyday for years, I may be wanting to plant a tree that you can't keep in the south. I have seen some that don't provide much shade, but they are usually covered in moss and pretty sparse on leaves. Those I've seen in Forrest Gump, are great shade trees. But are as you said at least "100 years old" likely more actually.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida