Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

have you ever dreamt of a non-existant tree?

Wow. Just getting up here and thinking about this. Is gardenweb running my life, LOL? Would def. be more appropriate for a "misc" channel/forum, as most forum websites have, but there doesn't seem to be one here that is actually that popular.

Just had the strangest dream. In it, I'd heard about a plant/general merchandise catalog from a somewhat egotistical and globetrotting "bon vivant". It also sold gourmet food, so I had to drive to an upscale wine/cheese shop in northern Virginia to get the catalog. I remember getting off the beltway and getting onto 267; the shop was in Reston right off one of the exits. In a large building where the other level was a tire shop like NTB. It was a large store as those places go.. I walked in and found the catalog. I thumbed to the horticulture section. Past pictures of wine for sale. Then I remembered that I'd read elsewhere the state had revoked his license to sell anything besides bulbs, because of disease problems, but he that he was still selling some plants anyhow. The first plant I saw in the catalog was a spiny leaved pyracantha. It also had thorns! The catalog noted it was very rare, but in the picture, the small plant in 1 qt. square pot had leaves that were covered in purple and orange spots. As though they had some kind of disease even after being propagated. I thought to myself, "I think I"ll pass on ordering from your nursery". But, the catalog then had a long article/sales pitch for rare hybrid magnolias, supposedly discovered in Italy as natural hybrids from a botanical collection. One was something like a M. delavayi X R. ashei hybrid with gigantic leaves and flowers with a light silvery pink tinge. In the price section, it just said "ASK". There were a couple others for sale, same thing "price ASK". It had pictures of the parent plants, all various big leaf mags, I think M. dealbata was in there, too. I figured I could not afford them, so I set the magazine back on the table. The price on the front of the catalog/lifestyle magazine was $10! On the way out of the store, I bought a tiny wedge of cheese! End of dream!

I think there are 3 things on my mind in this dream:
concern about plant pathogens, which are obviously an increasing problem affecting gardens
(ash borer, boxwood blight, rose rosette disease, etc. etc.)
frustration with rare plants having odd sales outlets and/or only being very expensive to obtain, and/or only being avail. in Europe (the Eisenhut catalog has way more magnolias than any US seller, wholesale or retail. It is across the lake from Villa Taranto, where I believe my dream-world was suggesting these magnolia hybrids were discovered.)

also...perhaps some sense that some of the most "high end" parts of the horticultural world are run by a snooty cabal who control availabilty of the rarest plants too. A wine/cheese...upscale merchandise...rare plants catalog for $10 is kind of ridiculous but not inconceivable. (I'm fine with people having hobbies, but personally find the world of upscale oeonology to be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I've read of a scientific study that proved that when wine reviewers are operating in a double blind environment, their reviews are completely different than when reviewing normally. In others words, it's all about snobbery and they just believe the more expensive brands are better tasting) Do you know the most exclusive plant society in the world, the International Dendrological Society, supposedly only had 5 Americans who are deemed "good enough" to be members? And you thought joining the RHS as an overseas member was difficult! (not really difficult, just expensive) I mean...they might be 5 perfectly good people who are not wine snobs...but how would I know? I just wonder why a plant society has to be so non-representative or exclusive. And what they could have access to that the rest of us can't.

Comments (22)

• salicaceae
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Interesting dream. Yes, I've had those and also daydream about such plants. I love the dreams that involve an unbelievable unknown nursery with non-existent plants (in real life). I also spend my life working on diseases of trees, so that theme is also frequent.

If you really want M. dealbata, I might be able to help you out (PM me).

I know all about IDS. I had two sponsors (current members) write letters of support and applied, then never heard back!

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Willows...I feel special just for knowing someone who was able to get two recommendations!

Don't want to try M. dealbata here, probably not hardy enough. But hybrids between it and hardier mags could be interesting.

Anyhow, good to know I'm not the only one who is plant-crazy enough to have such a dream.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You probably know, are there any M. delavayi in Florida or the southeast, or do they need cooler summers?

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

There is (was) a M. delavayi at JCRA and maybe at Plant Delights. I tried to propagate it from a tree in California, but was unsuccessful. I really would like to give it a try. I'd also really like M. pugana and M. mayana.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Well, there's that giant old Live oak in my yard with a small bit of spanish moss dripping from it, and I am able to climb it and sleep on it's huge branches. In reality, I have my 3 ft tall Compton's oak in the spot where the fantasy tree usually is. Poaky1

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I have had dreams different trees of mine have died. Still none about plant shopping...yet.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Well, Toronado, did you WANT these trees to die? Well, whichever way, I hope you get whatever result you wanted..... I just want to add that while I am asleep in the boughs of my huge Live oak with Spanish moss draped on it, but, not enough moss to kill most of the leaves, I am wearing my size zero nightgown, and am the most beautiful gal in all the land. (Ha, ha ha ha) hey, if you are dreaming anyways, might as well go for the whole enchilada, right?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Now the real trick to keeping a man happy Poaky would be to be a 5'2" size 0 one day (maybe a 4, 0 is frequently curveless), then a 5'8" size 12 the next.

A couple reasons, variety is the spice of life and the grass is always greener on the other size. Maybe it was just me but if I was dating a tiny gal tall girls seemed exotic and different and so on. A decent amount of hair was my only constant but a gal could overcome that by wanting to go rollerblading.

• greenthumbzdude
    9 years ago

I dream about having a giant tree like the one in the avatar movie

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

for those interested in trying magnolia delavayi (and willing to wait for results) both amazon(!!!) and ebay offer seeds of this plant to try. assuming the seeds are good and they germinate you may have to wait about 10 years to get blooms but the foliage on a happy plant is quite impressive---large, shiny dark green---that it will do quite nice as a cool foliage plant without the flowers.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Toronado, I will say, at least you are being honest. I actually was too thin for a guy at one time, not the case now, but, imagine my surprise when he liked a big Momma. I guess gals never know what guys are thinking, vice versa also. Oh, in my tree I have a pillow stuffed with hundred dollar bills, tons of them.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks George, but I think it's almost certainly a little too cold here for M. delavayi. The RBGE multisite doesn't find any in remotely continental parts of the world. Well, the Hillier Arboretum, but that's zone 9 as far as I'm concerned, as is the Villa Taranto which is the only place I've seen one in person.
    It must be said that, though definitely different looking, the somber foliage for some reason doesn't really seem much more attractive than Magnolia grandiflora. Just, as I said, different. The branch structure is also a bit wonky and the habit mounding rather than columnar. Or maybe my plant lust was merely diluted by various other goodies in that garden, like the huge Rhododendron macabeanums, etc. I think even putting hardiness aside, it would be more promising hybridized with something else.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

The tree-dreams I've had are of the house I grew up which had quite a few large trees. But in the dreams those trees are monstrously huge w/15' dia trunks and sprawling branches to the ground.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhhh, ok, kind of like the "Forbidden Forest" in The Princess Bride. If they weren't trying to eat you.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

different strokes for different folks in different places i guess David, my experience is that it grows faster in cool summer areas like mine and the dark foliage looks healthier to me than the southern magnolia (which i also like very much). OTOH, it's not uncommon for it to grow as a giant bush for some time (that's what mine is doing) but there are 40-50' tall specimens in the u.k. and california. will it ever be a common plant even in those areas mild enough to make it happy probably not but it was a plant i lusted after for a long time and couldn't find and now that i have it for me it was worth the wait.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

George, it makes sense for it to do better with your cool summers. How tall is yours and has it bloomed yet? Since you are in an area where there must be a few large M. grandiflora around ('Victoria' et al presumably, the cool summer tolerant ones) maybe you could hybridize them when you have the chance.

BTW do you know of any large and blooming M campbellii on the Oregon coast? They could certainly do well there but I doubt they were ever common plants, even in Northern California. However when I started growing rare plants in the early 1990s I have a succinct memory of seeing them listed in some PNW vendor's catalog, perhaps either Gossler or Greer. If anyone bought one in 1992, it should be blooming by now haha.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

yes, my delavayi has been blooming for about 5 years now---light cream with a very faint pink tinge. the nice thing about a bushy plant is that the flowers are very easy to see and smell (sometimes by bending DOWN). forms seed cones but always abort before they get too far (my southern magnolia does the same). yes, there are blooming campbelli here (some large ones that are part of an old STREET PLANTING (!!!!) in downtown coos bay. i have the hybrid of the two subspecies ("kew's surprise") from gosslers and it flowers and fruits (want a small seedling?). depending on if greer or gossler sold grafts or cuttings rather than seedlings the various plants may have been flowering for some time now, actually.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the offer George. I think the striking paucity of even Gresham magnolias in northeastern collections proves that anything (large and spring blooming) more distinguished than plain old M. x soulangeana is a gamble here. I should at least first demostrate those can reliably function (i.e., bloom) here. My supposed 'Phelan Bright' finally has a flower bud after waiting 6 years.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

have you tried the relatively new hybrid "daybreak" which supposedly offer either some of the size or color or both of campbellii but with increased wood/flower bud hardiness and/or later flowering???

This post was edited by georgeinbandonoregon on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 21:28

• alexander3_gw
    9 years ago

I daydream about an American Elm that has a nice solid orange-red fall color, like its Zelkova cousins.

• zephyrgal
    9 years ago

Sorry to hi-jack this thread yet if the offer from George in Bandon, "i have the hybrid of the two subspecies ("kew's surprise") from gosslers and it flowers and fruits (want a small seedling?)." is available to a gal on the north coast I would be deligted to include a magnolia in my garden. A magnolia of any sort that grows will here would be a compliment in the yard. Just wondering?

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Kinda stupid, but, we're talking fantasy, the trees in Harry Potter (forest) were kinda wild, They seemed like they were Beeches, by the root flare and shallow roots, the Avatar tree also, as Greenthumbs dude mentioned, and a tree in Star wars, the Ewoks(?) were living in. poaky1