Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swimming Pool and Trees

Posted by pillbug Texas 8-9 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 12, 08 at 9:15

I have just had 3 large (80-90') pine trees removed due to not being able to keep the pool clean and no grass, pine needles (we just bought the house). Now I need to plant 2 trees. Fast growing ones. They will be about 15' from pool and 15' to 20' feet from house. Will be used to shade the house (windows / air conditioner) in the hot East Texas summers (Lufkin Texas). I was looking at the oriental Japanese tree (sorry can't remember complete name) but after reading the forum comments on it I am not sure it would be a good choice.

Please help, need some suggestions.

PillBug from Texas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swimming Pool and Trees

15' is pretty close to a swimming pool for any type of tree. Regardless of it being evergreen or deciduous, any tree will drop old needles or foliage......it's what they do :-) And it's pretty much inevitable that these will eventually find their way into the pool with any passing breeze or even foot traffic. You may be better off erecting some sort of pergola or shade structure to deflect sunlight and keep the surrounding pool plantings low and unobtrusive.

If you absolutely must plant a tree, look for one that is evergreen. In general, these will produce less litter than one that is deciduous, although there is much variability even with these (i.e., pines are on the high side as far as conifers go and magnolias are just downright messy). Gordonia (loblolly bay) or loquat come to mind as being possible choices.

o

Well I could put the trees closer to the house. Just don't know how close is safe. Suggestions on how close to the house I can plant. I would prefer a tree that does not get over about 30 feet so I can control them with pruning.

Am I just crazy? Maybe but I need some trees as the house gets a lot of morning sun on the side of the pool. Pool is about 70 feet from the house.

PillBug

o

How about Shantung maple by the house? It would thrive in your location. Grows fast. Not sure what I'd recommend by the pool if you want it to keep it clean. Palms?

o

windmill palms and sunscreens on at least the east and west facing windows in your house

o

I always thot palms would look nice by a pool too.
Windmill palms (Trachycarpus fortunei) will grow in zone 7 (I don't know where you live). I've seen pics of palms in zone 3 and 4 but they are protected in the Winter, but even that would be nice. Maybe Banana (basjoo).

o

We had a similar situation with Crape Myrtles by our pool. I hated to get rid of them, but they were way too large to move the the amount of leaves dropped in the pool was ridiculous.

That said, we went the Palm route. Not much shade, but I think them, along with the Bananas and other tropical looking plants we put in fit the spot perfectly.

We've had the best luck with CA Fan Palms.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 28, 08 at 19:31

Read up on these to see if any will do. Not sure all will grow in your region.

Bauhinia x blakeana
Cordia boissieri
Eriobotrya deflexa
Ficus carica
Firmiana simplex
Geijera parviflora
Palms
Diospyros virginiana
Stenocarpus sinuatus
Tabebuia chrysotricha

A few of these are fruiting but produce large fruits that are less likely to get into the filter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here