Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pillbug_gw

Swimming Pool and Trees

pillbug
15 years ago

I have just had 3 large (80-90') pine trees removed due to not being able to keep the pool clean and no grass, pine needles (we just bought the house). Now I need to plant 2 trees. Fast growing ones. They will be about 15' from pool and 15' to 20' feet from house. Will be used to shade the house (windows / air conditioner) in the hot East Texas summers (Lufkin Texas). I was looking at the oriental Japanese tree (sorry can't remember complete name) but after reading the forum comments on it I am not sure it would be a good choice.

Please help, need some suggestions.

PillBug from Texas

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

15' is pretty close to a swimming pool for any type of tree. Regardless of it being evergreen or deciduous, any tree will drop old needles or foliage......it's what they do :-) And it's pretty much inevitable that these will eventually find their way into the pool with any passing breeze or even foot traffic. You may be better off erecting some sort of pergola or shade structure to deflect sunlight and keep the surrounding pool plantings low and unobtrusive.

If you absolutely must plant a tree, look for one that is evergreen. In general, these will produce less litter than one that is deciduous, although there is much variability even with these (i.e., pines are on the high side as far as conifers go and magnolias are just downright messy). Gordonia (loblolly bay) or loquat come to mind as being possible choices.

• pillbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I could put the trees closer to the house. Just don't know how close is safe. Suggestions on how close to the house I can plant. I would prefer a tree that does not get over about 30 feet so I can control them with pruning.

Am I just crazy? Maybe but I need some trees as the house gets a lot of morning sun on the side of the pool. Pool is about 70 feet from the house.

PillBug

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

How about Shantung maple by the house? It would thrive in your location. Grows fast. Not sure what I'd recommend by the pool if you want it to keep it clean. Palms?

• katrina1
    15 years ago

windmill palms and sunscreens on at least the east and west facing windows in your house

• bjb817
    15 years ago

We had a similar situation with Crape Myrtles by our pool. I hated to get rid of them, but they were way too large to move the the amount of leaves dropped in the pool was ridiculous.

That said, we went the Palm route. Not much shade, but I think them, along with the Bananas and other tropical looking plants we put in fit the spot perfectly.

We've had the best luck with CA Fan Palms.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Read up on these to see if any will do. Not sure all will grow in your region.

Bauhinia x blakeana
    Cordia boissieri
    Eriobotrya deflexa
    Ficus carica
    Firmiana simplex
    Geijera parviflora
    Palms
    Diospyros virginiana
    Stenocarpus sinuatus
    Tabebuia chrysotricha

A few of these are fruiting but produce large fruits that are less likely to get into the filter.

• Africasouth
    9 years ago

Some years ago I was told to plant some kind of pine trees right next to my pool (2 metres away) to cover the wall, to give some private and cover the view to neighbours balcony.) and these trees would not cause damages to the pool not drop leaves, etc, As this area is very windy, today I have a big problem with the needles going into the pool. It is a constant headache as the filter needs to be clean constantly and the Kreepy Krauly is always stopping, etc,
    I will include some pictures.
    What type of pine tres are these and what can I do to stop the problem. The one tree at the end is drying up. Is it perhaps lack of irrigation?
    Kindly advise.
    Thanks

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Possible small tree (large shrub) selections:

Loquat
    Yaupon holly
    Elaeocarpus decipiens (Japanese blueberry tree)
    Holly - Eagleson or East Palatka
    Photinia serrulata
    Ligustrum japonicum 'Texanum'
    Myrica cerifera
    Oleander
    Osmanthus fragrans
    Ternstroemia gymnathera (Cleyer)
    Podocarpus macrophyllus (Japanese yew)
    Prunus caroliniana 'Compacta' or 'Bright n Tight'
    Windmill palms (Trachycarpus)
    Sabal mexicana
    Viburnum 'Chindo'
    Viburnum odoratissimum
    Vitex (deciduous)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Doesn't foliage blow into pool from neighbor trees? It's a losing battle with an outdoor pool. You just have to have a reg and freq leaf cleaning routine, or else hv a screened in pool

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

If you want nice, small evergreen trees that won't litter your pool with Fall leaves:

Texas Persimmon
    {{gwi:2122714}}
    Pineapple Guava
    {{gwi:2122715}}
    Loquat
    {{gwi:2122716}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple Guava