Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
othertime_gw

Graft incompatibility sugar maple

othertime
9 years ago

Recently had a commemoration sugar maple installed and when planting and uncovering the root flare for planting depth we came upon the graft. One side is smooth and the other looks like it is callusing. Caliper is 3.5" field dug b&b about a week ago.

Dirt was over the graft when delivered and was removed at planting. There is one adventurous root that is about 2 inches above the main root flare.

What are some thoughts regarding the graft union?

Thanks!

Here are the pictures.

{{gwi:471644}}

{{gwi:471645}}

{{gwi:471647}}

Comments (12)

• othertime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Head of the nursery just came out and had a look. He said the tree had been girdled by either twine or another root and the tree needed to be replaced.

Bummer this has happened but at least its being take care of now rather than later.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Interesting. He may well be correct about the twine girdling the trunk as I have seen that on bnb in a nursery. However, the longterm prognosis for the tree from what I can see is excellent. I'm surprised he replaced it.

I wonder if I am in the minority on this one.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

I think it looks like it's repairing. If that were going to kill the tree, evidence of decline would've be apparent.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

other ...

do not confuse these other peeps esoteric discussion of your tree ...

with the fact.. that your seller did the ABSOLUTE proper thing... in replacing it ...

you did not pay real good money..... to experiment ... with the MAYBEs of whether or not it will survive...

nice to see a story about a GOOD seller.. standing behind his product ... [now if he only hired peeps who would have saved him a lot of wages/time and profit.. and figured it out.. BEFORE THEY DUG IT OUT... lol]

did you have any discussion on proper planting depth .... ??? ... maybe if they exposed the root flare.. PRIOR to digging.. they could set in the hole at the proper depth ... though your didnt really end up.. all that bad ...

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

The graft itself looks like it would be ok, it's the flat side looking like there are no roots on that side that would have me concerned. Kudos to the seller for standing behind his product.

tj

• othertime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the comments. Seller is replacing the tree.

Went to look today at another nursery at the same trees along with some legacy sugar maples and all the grafts looked great and nothing like the tree planted above.

Planting depth was discussed prior to planting but still ended up a touch deeper than I would have liked.

We will get it right with the replacement tree in that I will have them expose the flare then measure depth of the hole.

There might be some back filling and stomping with clay in the hole after removal to bring the new tree up to right planting depth though.

Cheers!

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Sounds like a pretty darn-good outcome...an educated customer and an accommodating and conscientious business person. Bravo!

+oM

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Yes, it would be wonderful if all nurseries were as accommodating as yours, othertime! I would give that guy all the business he could handle =) Alas, that is not the case, here.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2122728}}
    sam_md you need a new tree
    treeowner but I love my tree
    sam_md it don't matter
    treeowner the tree is perfectly healthy
    sam_md it don't matter
    treeowner there's no dieback
    sam_md it don't matter
    treeowner there's no sign of graft incompatibility
    sam_md it don't matter
    treeowner who says I need a new tree?
    sam_md geeks on Trees Forum
    treeowner expletive deletive - expletive deletive
    sam_md LOL:)LOL:)LOL:)LOL:)LOL:)LOL:)LOL:)

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Well I think it...

• sam_md
    9 years ago

This tree is property of the US Federal Gov't. Do you think that Trees Forum @Houzz should contact them and have the tree replaced?