Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Skyline' honeylocust ?

Posted by greenthumbzdude 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 10:16

Hi,
I was looking for a tall shade tree I could plant next to my "Jane" magnolia since its leaves were scorching over the summer. I came across a variety of honeylocust that grows really fast and has good form. Its called "Skyline", does anyone know who carries this cultivar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Skyline' honeylocust ?

This should do 'er.

Dan

o

Check anyone you randomly find against the garden watchdog site. Make sure the nursery has at least a reasonable reputation.

Greenthumbz, how big a transplant you looking for?

o

you can do the research.. but i have some recollection that honeylocust may not be the most root friendly tree in the long run ...

you really havent given us many facts here.... was there drought .... was it recently transplanted??? .. was it properly planted... what size is it... might it not be easier to move it in spring.. rather than waiting a hundred years to grow some shade above it... how was it watered this year.. etc ....

TRUST ME .. ANYTHING marketed as 'grows really fast' is going to be a problem.. guess what.. really fast ...

there has to be a better solution to your quandary ...

ken

o

there has to be a better solution to your quandary ...

Yes, generally you want to plant rhodies/shade mags/azaleas where there is already shade, but hopefully it can last 7-10 years until the Gleditsia grows tall enough to shade. One caveat though, late to leaf out and early to drop may or may not be the best choice for a canopy tree meant to shade plants.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here