Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
permaculturegardener

zone 7, N. MS Outdoor Christmas tree?

I really hope I get a good response to this post, because I am at wits end to find an evergreen tree that looks like a Christmas tree that does not get more than 20 ft. tall!

We want to start a new Christmas tradition and decorate an outdoor Christmas tree every year. Have a party after Thanksgiving on Friday to trim our outdoor tree while, we build a fire in the fire pit, roast marshmallows, and drink eggnog, and sing carols.

Please help me find the best species of tree for this purpose. I need an evergreen "Christmas looking tree" that doesn't get more than 20ft. high.

I need to buy this tree this week and plant it. I so need your help on this one!!! And fast.

Thank you so very much, Michele Take care everybody! And happy holidays!!!

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

where are you ...

how big you buying...

every tree has an annual growth rate ... when yours starts to get near 10 feet.. you will know such.. and you plant another... so when this one gets to 20 ... you have the new one.. get rid of the old ...

if you want a conifer.... you might ask the same in the conifer forum ...

without knowing where you are.. nor what you want.. i dont know what of offer ...

also .. it might be very hard to find anything of size.. this time of year.. in many markets ....

more info please

ken

crikey.. you put it in the title... z7 MS ... whats the look you looking for???

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

In other words you can get a fairly fast growing and therefore less expensive kind and shear it to keep it small or get a slow-growing, more pricey one and wait a long time for it to get big. Or something in-between.

In either case nothing is going to hit 20 ft. and then come to a halt, yet remaining alive and attractive.

If you have an independent garden center with an inventory of some size in the area maybe head over there and see what they have. If not now then later there might even be a fairly good line of "living Christmas trees" on display.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Hhhmmmm.
    If you want something that truly looks like a Christmas tree in the fir/spruce mould, no, nothing stops at 20 feet high.

However, there are a number of hollies that can be quite permanently sheared to that size, with the right equipment. In the upper south you could go with American holly but some more uncommon hollies might be both more easily shearable and better looking plants. I've seen pictures of 'Scepter' looking cone shaped. All hollies are a little slow when young, but then so are most conifers besides pines bred for forestry. Also, 'Scepter' or certain HIghclere hollies won't be hard to decorate because the leaves are smooth.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1316017

• permaculturegardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scepter holly is a great idea! Thank you so much.

I was also thinking of Fat Albert Blue Spruce. I don't know if this tree would look natural in the landscape though.

Thanks! Appreciate all of your comments!
    Take care

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Doubt whether any Picea pungens will be very happy in the heat and humiidity of MS.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Yes gardengal is correct. When it hits 20 ft is just about the time your spruce will look so diseased and sickly you will make yourself cut it down and go back to the drawing board on your living Christmas tree. Fat Albert? Read Dead Albert if you're south of the Mason-Dixon.

If you want a fir looking plant, Abies firma is your best bet.
    Search my other posts for various other firs that *could* work, but Abies firma is the safest option by far.

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

Eastern red cedar

• permaculturegardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it makes sense to go with the scepter holly. Can anyone see a problem with that. Wonder if I will have a hard time finding it.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

'Scepter' would be a great choice as would nearly any hybrid with I. integra. I would also look for 'Virginia', 'Spartan', 'Blue Maid', 'Cherry Bomb' and 'Winter Bounty'.

Some of these hybrids may be difficult to locate.