Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

sources for tree seeds, esp. hybrid acorns

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I might start a project with my kids - growing some trees from seed. The problem is the sourcing - I know about Sheffield's and Schumachers, are there others?

Some stuff I can collect seed for locally pretty easily - red and sugar maples, pin and willow oaks, white oak, but others I have trouble finding. I especially want acorns. I've got some Q. phellos, Q. coccinea, and Q. alba I can get a hold of, as well as probably Q. rubra.

I worry about places like Sheffield's because sometimes, the seeds are shown as being a previous crop year, and I know that many tree seeds, Oaks included, really don't store that well, so I question the viability.

However, I'd really like to get some hybrid acorns, like Bebb's, Sauls, etc. Anyone got a reputable source?

Comments (11)

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

The folks at OIKOS Tree Crops sometimes have acorns and seednuts for sale - and many of their offerings are hybrids - and coming out of their seed orchard, the likelihood that seedlings grown from those acorns will be complex hybrids is pretty good...

International Oak Society members often trade/swap acorns across the country - and even around the world, when permitted. Check out the IOS website.

Here is a link that might be useful: OIKOS

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually like the idea of complex hybrids, a bit of a "you never know what you're going to get" aspect.

Around the world? I'd LOVE to get some Q. frainetto acorns.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"I know about Sheffield's and Schumacher, are there others?"

Those are the big two for retail tree seeds, but there are a few other sources. J. L. Hudson has some interesting stuff including some tree seeds. The Angelgrove Tree Seed Company, Plant World Seeds, Prairie Moon Nursery, Gardens North, SparkleberrySprings, and The Fragrant Path offer smaller selections of woody plant seeds. Sierra Seed Supply offers some interesting stuff from their area. Oikos Tree Crops periodically offers a few types of seeds, including many oaks.

"I worry about places like Sheffield's because sometimes, the seeds are shown as being a previous crop year, and I know that many tree seeds, Oaks included, really don't store that well, so I question the viability."

When stored properly, most seeds can last for a pretty long period. Sometimes Sheffield's does have some very old seeds, but, for the most part, I'd say your concerns are unfounded. Sheffield's has the ability and knowledge to stores seeds under very specific and proper conditions.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Brandon, that makes me feel better. Now if I could just find some Q. frainetto...

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Join the IOS. It's free for a basic membership. I joined a few days ago. The above suggestion is right on the money. They have acorn exchanges.

Btw, I had in a pile of notes to collect frainetto and forgot!

Dax

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Unless there's something I'm missing, basic membership in the IOS is $30/yr, $55/2yrs, or $85/3yrs.

• dricha
    10 years ago

It looks like it's free to join the IOS website only. Your right, it's $30 to join but it's really worth it. For the most part the yearly membership has 2 newsletters and a journal or proceedings depending on the year. The acorns exchanges take place at the conference sites which happen once every three years.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I have gotten some by asking on here, but try in Sept and Oct. I've found Q. Robur on Ebay a few yrs ago. There are none around me to collect from. You never know what ebay will have. As far as hybrids the Mossy oak natives have seedlings, but MAYBE could sell acorns or help you locate a source.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

You must know this already but I will still mention Colonial Williamsburg, Va has a mature Compton's oak, but of course they probably already dropped acorns already.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Check out the abstract of the article linked below.

...and you were concerned about Sheffield's seeds. (-;

Here is a link that might be useful: AAAS/Science

• gardener365
    10 years ago

That's really awesome, Brandon.

Guess I'm going to pay for an IOS membership. oops.

2015 the IOS gathering will be in IL during fall while acorns are maturing (of course!) & two of the places on the schedule will be Starhill Forest Arboretum located in Petersburg, IL, and The Morton Arboretum, Lisle, IL. Bring your buckets/backpacks, ziplocs and sharpies, & camera!

Dax