Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Sandbagging Transplanted Tree

bobby1973
11 years ago

Hi folks,

About one week before Hurricane Sandy arrived in NJ, I transplanted a 10' tall Crepe Myrtle to a different location on my property. I originally planted it from a container 5 years ago. But I quickly learned that I underestimated how large the Natchez variety can grow. It soon began to bother my neighbor because the tree was encroaching over the property line. Rather than approach me and ask me if I could prune it, she had her landscaper/boyfriend shear it exactly where the property line would fall. I swear, the poor tree looked like a bolt of lighting hit it! I was furious but I restrained myself from confronting her. Instead I thought about how I could turn this negative into a positive. Although the tree was in the ground for 5 years, I still felt I had a chance at successfully transplanting it to another location in my yard where it would have plenty of space to grow. Plus, the timing was ideal because the tree just shed its leaves, getting ready to enter dormancy. So my friend and I managed to dig it out and transfer it to the new location. Once we began backfilling it with native soil, we noticed that it was still very unstable because the tree was so top-heavy. So we decided to stake it securely into the ground. We made sure to give the ropes a little slack so that the tree could move a little with the wind. But like I said - this was 1 week before Sandy. Once the storm arrived on Monday, the tree did its best, but eventually toppled over Monday night. The following morning my buddy and I went out there and re-planted it and re-staked it. I took it one step further and placed 2 sandbags on top of the rootball. If I had just done that initially, the tree would have never toppled over during the storm. Anyhow, I'm posting this message and photo to get your opinion on whether keeping these 2 sandbags on the rootball throughout the winter is a good idea. Do you know of any potential problems this could cause to the tree while it establishes itself in its new location? Thanks everyone!

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i dont see any downside ...

havent seen it done before... but that means nothing ...

but i wonder had they been there prior.. whether the trunks may have snapped.. rather than just leaning over??? .. who knows ...

ken

• botann
    11 years ago

I'm with Ken and see no problem with it.
    I'd put a couple of more on.
    Mike

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks you guys!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Now crepes are more bushes than trees here and as such mine is not overly attached to any one of its dozen trunks, but where the rope attaches to the trunk I use a lady's nylon to keep it from rubbing through the bark. I tie the nylon in a loop around the trunk then the rope to or fishing line to the nylon. Each is and I good for a year or two and as a married man I have plenty of each around.

11 years ago

i would drive in some t bar fence posts.. and significantly shorten those trip wires.. before you kill someone .. lol

but do insure your spot is utility free.. before you go driving them in ...

do you not have prevailing winds.. for me.. 95% of winds.. are from the NW ... so there isnt really a need for so many ties ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody for your input. With this nor'easter arriving later today, I feel more secure with the sandbags in place!

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi folks - I started this original post back in early November, shortly after Hurrican Sandy toppled over tall Crepe Myrtle tree that I just finished transplanting from a different location on my property. It was probably only in the ground for 2 weeks or so prior to Sandy. Anyway as I described in the other posts on this thread, I replanted the tree back in the same hole, but secured it down a little better with stake and also rested sandbags on top of the root ball do deter it from toppling over during this past winter. Now that we're in May now, I have since removed the sandbags, and the twine and stakes. My concern however is that the tree has not begun leafing out yet. I have another healhthy Crepe Myrtle on my property that has begun leafing out nicely already. So I'm naturally concerned about whether the other tree survived the winter. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bobby

10 years ago

perhaps salt damaged the root system ...

otherwise.. i dont know what to tell you.. other than give it another month.. to see if its just late ..

transplants do weird things ...

ken