Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting pots/air pots

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 11:40

I have a heap of these, left over from an early adopter friend, currently folded up and taking up space in my allotment shed. As I am also sowing many trees for our new woods, should I be using these pots? What sort of potting medium. Should I germinate the seeds in them (I usually just put them in ordinary deep pots and wait). Any input? Have avoided them so far because I suspect, without a drip system, irrigation might be more of an issue than I would normally be prepared to contend with.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting pots/air pots

you might want to try this in the conifer forum also ...

i know.. somewhere.. this was discussed recently.. probably buried deep in some post with an unrelated title ....

but i dont understand why you have gotten no replies..

conifers are trees... regardless of what seed you are trying ... so which forum doenst matter ...

ken

o

Campanula, I just came from a nut producers' meeting this weekend. A commercial nursery there grows his trees in root maker pots and he likes them. The alternative, for him, was a nursery bed and then digging them at sale size and leaving a lot of the roots behind. For a home grower, such as myself, milk jugs are fine. There was no difference in size between his trees at the same age as mine. I will not be leaving roots in the grow out bed either, as I will just cut the milk jugs and plant the whole root mass. I may have to uncoil the tap root from the bottom of the pots, but this only takes a moment for each one and allows me to plant at any time of the year as the roots are long enough to reach water. I don't have to wait for the fall rains, or figure out how to carry enough water once a week on very hilly, very forested land. I do have to dig a deeper hole, but I don't mind, since I am close to my woods and can plant a few trees each trip. It will depend on how you want to handle things and how much rain you can expect after planting. Roots formed in rootmaker pots can collect water from the top few inches of soil, very well, but are not long enough to establish in open ground without regular watering.

o

Logically it seems to me they would be good if you tend to over-water plants, if you want to grow trees as big as possible before putting them in the ground, or if you want to keep trees inside this winter and plant them in the Spring.

If you tend to underwater and plan to transplant the trees well before they outgrow the pot, I don't think it matters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here