Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nakloss

Cleveland Pear Disease?

nakloss
9 years ago

I planted this Cleveland Pear this past spring and over the course of late summer / early fall I started to notice the bark peeling in one area. It's now turned into the image attached as there is now what appears to be exposed wood. Is this tree a goner? What is this problem and how can I prevent / remedy this? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it was damaged probably before you got it ... and it didnt .. SHOW... until now ...

its self healing.. there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do other than let it heal ...

nobody here.. is going to approve of this particular tree ... so prepare yourself for that onslaught ... lol ...

you might talk with your seller.. if you have a warranty ... but try to get a replacement of any other kind of tree ....

ken

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

If the tree is still alive, then i would not worry about it.
    I happen to like the pear trees.

• nakloss
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's still alive. I suppose I'll just let it go and see if it heals then. Thanks.

• GrowerDon
    9 years ago

Obviously some physical damage caused this wound. Lawn mower perhaps? From your picture I can see where the tree is healing. I would think that in a couple of years, maybe sooner, the Tree would heal in total. I do not think the tree will fail because of this wound at all and it will not effect the overall health of the tree in years to come.

Does look like a stake may be helpful - leaning a little too much?

PS - I am a grower and I enjoy Cleveland Pear as well!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I get tired of replying to Pear threads but I will say I dislike them.

Maybe they aren't listed as invasive where you guys are from.

Maybe their flowers don't smell like urine in other climates.

Maybe you all hope your neighbors plant Kudzu. Who knows.

I just wanted to give Ken some back uo.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

It didn't just 'turn into' that - you just didn't notice. That wound has been there for a while - that looks like at least a full year's growth of callus tissue rolling in from the edges in an attempt to cover over the exposed wood.
    It'll likely manage to fill in and you'll barely be able to tell that the wound was there; may take another couple of years. Then the ghastly thing will fall apart in a light breeze.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

It won't "heal"-that's something that human and other animal tissues can do, and which trees can never, ever do. That wound will be there for as long as the tree is in existence. What can and will happen is the wound will close, via new wood being formed around and over it. I realize some here will think this a semantics game. It is not. Until folks obtain an understanding of the unique way in which woody plants grow and respond to wounds, they will continue to make the mistake of talking about tree wounds "healing". And once they do happen to gain an understanding of how trees actually grow-as a new tree right over the top of the old one each growing season, they will continue to make poor management decisions based on their faulty understanding. Oh well, it's just a pear tree and yes, those things really do need to go away. I "like" them too, in the most shallow way possible, that of pretending to not know the absolute havoc they are causing out in our woodlands, basically taking over for all the native plants that should be there. But as far as that particular wound, it was caused, I would guess, by being tossed onto a truck, the trunk of the plant striking the tail gate or other such structure. It happens a lot among careless workers, or those workers who have no meaningful supervision. The bad news? The plant will go on living!

+oM

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner