Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

ID woody volunteer with nice fall color?

I posted these pictures on the Name That Plant Forum in a thread entitled Woody volunteer with nice fall color. There were several reasonable ID's but no consensus (Asimina triloba, Nyssa sylvatica, and Lindera benzoin). Can anyone identify this tree/shrub definitively?

I'd like to know what it is so I can decide what to do with it. If it's a tree or large shrub there's no room for it there (it's very close to the road and under a wild cherry (Prunus serotina)). Of course, if it's something wildly undesirable I might have to just remove it, but so far I like it.
................................................................................................................

Last August I noticed a volunteer plant that seems to be woody; it appeared in a bed with some hostas and Solomon's Seals. It looked rather nice there so I left it to see if it was going to do anything interesting (I've found some nice volunteers here in southeast MA on the coast).

These photos are from August:

{{gwi:367723}}

{{gwi:367725}}

{{gwi:367727}}

A few days ago I noticed that the leaves had developed a nice fall color and the red petioles were very pronounced.

{{gwi:367729}}

{{gwi:367731}}

At the request of esh_ga I photographed the leaf bud a few days later after a windstorm had blown off all of the leaves.

Not a great pic but it does show the terminal bud with hints of the lower buds. The leaves on the ground are probably from the wild cherry above, not from the unknown woody.

{{gwi:367733}}

Thanks,
Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 12:06

Comments (14)