Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbzdude

Tree Planting 2015

greenthumbzdude
9 years ago

Its a bit early but I want to start a thread for what you plan on planting in 2015. I will start with the following:
1. Ginko
2. Prickly Ash
3. Franklin Tree
4. Korean Evodia
5. Giant Sequoia
6. Japanese Raisin
7. Cucumber Magnolia
8. Umbrella Magnolia

Comments (30)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Prickly Ash...what in heavens for?

1. Willow Oak
    2. Cucumber Magnolia
    3. American Persimmon
    4. Siskiyou Cypress
    5. Turkish Cedar
    6. Chinquapin Oak

• greenthumbzdude
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nice selection.......the prickly ash is a host plant for the Giant Swallowtail butterfly...kinda rare here in PA but I seen one this past summer.....also I kind of like the knobby spines on the bark for some reason

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I've always been a "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" kind of guy.

1.) Black Walnut
    2.) Sassafras
    3.) White Spruce
    4.) American Persimmon
    5.) American Holly

Next year I'm going to order trees from the NH state nursery, probably get their Black Walnut and "Christmas Tree Sampler".

Also considering one of the following...
    A.) Tupelo
    B.) Ginko
    C.) Baldycypress
    D.) Blue Atlas Cedar
    E.) Blue Spruce
    F.) Paw Paw

This post was edited by edlincoln on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 19:17

• subtropix
    9 years ago

more Bald Cypress (Taxodium) and Dawn Redwoods (Metasequoia) in local wet lands.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

I ran out of space. I wish I could just move to a bigger space but with wildly varied rainfall amount year to year in my area, no thanks. I'm just stuck here and will do what I can do with the current space.

My list.

1. Loquat fruit tree for the fun of it.

• ginkgonut
    9 years ago

Going to replace the Acer griseum with A. triflorum. Paperbark took a beating last winter, but recovered well over the summer. Then this fall, one of the best falls for color in recent memory, it turned a dingy yellow/brown. Done. The couple of Triflorums I saw in town knocked my socks off as they do just about every year.

I was impressed with the way the Taxodium Shawnee Brave looked at the IA State gardens a few weeks ago so might order a few of those and give them a try.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

I have got seeds for:
    Quercus rubra
    Quercus velutina
    Juglans mandshurica
    Corylus colurna
    Corylus sieboldiana
    Gingko
    Ostrya virginiana
    Rhamnus cathartica
    Elaeagnus umbellata
    Prinsepia sinensis
    Betula maximowicziana
    Hovenia dulcis
    A handfull of maples and a lot of other stuff... I guess I should buy some more land soon

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Well, since Huggorm mentioned seeds...
    I am trying some plants from seed for the first time in many years. I'm generally too impatient for them, but I also can see from buying Abies seedlings from Treehaven that there is a benefit to growing multiples of one species. For example, of the Abies delavayi I have, 2 started growth much earlier than the other one, even though they are all right next to each other. The late to bud one will be potentially more useful for continental climates.

So, here is my list from Sheffield seed:
    PINUS bungeana
    Picea smithiana
    PINUS patula
    SORBUS pohuashanensis
    Larix gmelinii var. principis-rupprechtii

The Pinus patula is a big stretch...but I figure...try about 20 of them outside. Maybe one will have freakishly hardier genes and survive.
    The Larix was actually collected in China so hopefully will not have the genetic quality issues that I think many Larix kaempferis do. (including, possibly, Sheffield's own seeds, which are collected in China and not Japan. For all we know, the mother plants could have entered China by way of the English or via India...who knows. I'd rather get native collected seeds if possible. I suspect one of the reasons my Larix mastersiana seems so tough is it is grown from native seed. BTW if you spend a lot of time with Sheffield's website, you will find nothing collected in Japan. Apparently the economy is too modernized there to make seed collection a viable means of economic sustenance.)

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Interesting thought about Japan seed collection, David.

Weird since other modern countries still do it.

I have the following seeds either in hand or on order:

Quercus:

-macrocarpa (AR and IL sources)
    -michauxii (AR)
    -Texana (Nuttall) MO
    -fusiformis (TX)
    -x sternbergii (TX?)
    -x guadalupensis
    -x schuetti (MO?)
    -prinus (PA - thanks poaky)

-Taxodium distichum (MO or IL)
    -Cladrastis kentukea
    -Cercis canadensis (MD)
    -Pseudolarix amibilis (China)
    -Liriodendron chinense
    -Aesculus flava (local collection but not native)
    Carya lanciniosa

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Mostly out of room, but flood damage opened up some spots along the stream. Some type of dogwoods (Chinese and/or Japanese) would look nice there, tolerate some shade & not get too big.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

"Weird since other modern countries still do it."
    True, but you notice they avoid getting them from the world's most advanced, biggest, economies if possible. For example, instead of getting this tree found throughout Northern & Central Europe in the UK or Germany, they get it in Hungary. Point is you probably have to pay someone in Hungary a bit less than someone in the UK.
    Presumably someone in China offers practically all of the species native to Japan...for much less than anyone in Japan.
    The US would be an obvious exception because of the lower overhead of working locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://sheffields.com/seeds/Sorbus/torminalis

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Hug, I can send you seeds of Rhamnus cathartica! Yes, I know you're in Europe, yet somehow I just can't wrap my head around someone actually planting these pieces'o'crap! I can sell you a bushel of seeds real cheap!

+oM

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

wisconsitom:
    Thanks but I already got seeds. They are supposed to be native here but I have never seen one in the flesh. Should be a nice addition of native understory in my woods. I might regret it in twenty years but I will enjoy them in the meantime.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

My spousal unit is starting to get a bit annoyed at the seeds in the fridge, the seedlings all over the place, etc.

Honestly, 90% of what I have grown from seed I've given away, I don't have room for it, but it keeps me busy.

I gave 10 Metasequoias to a friend of ours to plant a few weeks ago along their property line. She planted them only about 20 feet apart but I think that should be OK.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

David -

I do wonder if some of the seeds Sheffields/Schumacher gets in the US (and possibly other places as well) are just private owners with large trees on large properties in some cases providing them. Or arboreta, etc.

If I had a few big oaks I could see myself collecting acorns to sell to a seed company. Something like maple samaras might be harder to gather up...but it wouldn't be for sustenance but for fun.

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

My guess is that the Japanese maple seeds that Sheffields offers, comes from a private owner or maybe a small nursery.

Sometimes true to name and viability can be a problem. The difficulty is that you usually can not tell how old a seed really is and if it is stored the right way.

Last year I sowed a lot of seeds. I have posted pictures of seedlings on a German gardening forum (see link, check for posts by Garten Prinz).

I have too little space to plant all my seedlings so I give them away, swap them or sell them.

I ordered from Schumacher last year. Heard nothing from them until February this year. I thought the reason I heard nothing from them was that the seeds I wanted were not available. I prefer to sow my seeds before Christmas especially species that need a stratification period like Acer and Magnolia. From the things I ordered from Shumacher Carya laciniosa, Franklinia alatamaha and Azalea schlippenbachii gave excellent germination. The germination of Magnolia virginiana was poor but more seeds might germinate next year. Some seeds I ordered have a double dormancy so is too early to tell (Chionanthus retusus, C. virginicus and Stewartia monadelpha).

This season I will try to sow not too many seeds!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Prince Germination 2014

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of seedlings in that link

• calliope
    9 years ago

OMG.............I feel better knowing that I'm not the only nerd with containers of stratifying tree seeds in their vegetable crisper. LOL. In my case it's from my large-leaf magnolia and some shingle oak. It almost pains me and I have to sit on my hands NOT to gather the red buckeye nuts anymore. I've planted allees of them and given gallon pots of them away like other people pawn off zucchinis in summer. I still have a dozen or two various trees up in a cold g'house wintering over we never got planted last year. The only tree I'm currently coveting is a Japanese lace bark pine and maybe another sycamore and a few pears in the orchard. We brought the peach tree count up to twenty seven to get rid of a mess I had started several years ago from some old pits I found in a garbage bag in the greenhouse I'd forgotten to compost. When I threw them in the compost bin, they broke open by themselves with developed cotyledons. It would have been murder not to pot them up. BTW........all my peach have been started from pits and they're the most wonderful yellow freestone I've ever grown. I intend to keep those genetics going.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I give away most of my seedlings. Gave a bunch of metasequoias to a friend with land, and gave three Scarlet Oaks to my brother in law.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Hairmetal, do you have 2 extra Xsternbergii acorns you can send me? I can get seedlings off of Dax, but, if you have 2 extra acorns, he will not have to send the seedlings. I have bugged him for Hickory and a grafted conifer already. Gardenprince, I also have ordered seeds from Schumachers, about a month ago, Hickory and Sugar Maple seeds. I waited and waited, and emailed them last night,no reply, they never billed my credit card yet, so I bugged Dax for seeds/seedlings of Hickory (Shagbark). I never had that problem before. I'm gonna call them tomorrow, unless they email me before I call. They are in Mass, I would guess they picked their seeds already. I can get the Sugar Maple seeds next fall. BTW, Hairmetal, the Chestnut oak, I think kit was Dax who told me, that it is no longer Q. Prinus, it is Q. Montana.

• greenthumbzdude
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to add Henry's Chestnut (Castanea henryi) and Cherimoya (Annona cherimola) to my list.....the Cherimoya will be grown indoors as a house plant....I am going to try germinating the seeds I got from a fruit I bought at the grocery store.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I just realized I forgot Metasequoia, which I still have a crapload of seeds from.

I'm up to 15 species and my wife is saying "were are you putting them all?"

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

I don't have a single tree on order for the first time since I started planting 10 years ago. I have enough seedlings in a holdover bed to keep me busy in spring.

I do have these seeds on their way.
    Acer grandidentatum
    Cornus mas
    Pinus flexilis
    Pinus koraiensis
    Pinus strobiformis
    Quercus coccinea

I had some success with Quercus robur X macrocarpa acorns last year. I ended up with 11 seedlings and really enjoyed the process. This fall I collected Catalpa pods and Quercus robur 'Fastigiata' acorns from trees at work.

Looks like I have excellent company in the nerd department! What are the nurseries going to do without us?

Barb

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

I have sown Quercus robur Fastiagata in the past. If I remember correctly 40-50% of the seedlings were of the fastigiata type. Big drawback was that the seedlings were extremely prone to mildew (even more so than the normal Quercus robur).

Pinus koraiensis: tried that some years ago with no success. So last year I did sow them again and now with good results. What's the trick? Pinus koraiensis has an extreme hard seedcoat. Pour some hot water (70 degrees Celsius) on the seeds and let stand for 2 days to soak. Then put the seeds with slight moist seed compost in the coldest part of your fridge for 4 months. After this period sow them at 20 degrees Celsius).

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

Thank you, GardenPrince! This will be my first attempt at pines, so I appreciate the tips. You've saved me some newbie frustration.

I'll keep that in mind with the quercus. Fortunately I have space to play with, so I'll find a home for whatever sprouts. We are high (5,000 ft), dry (13 inches average annual precip) and windy. We had a wet year (17 inches precip) and this was a bad year for powdery mildew, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Hope you have great results Treebarb. Poaky1

• mary
    9 years ago

I'm in Cashmere WA -- a little microclimate with people growing things that "should not" grow in this area of E.WA. I just bought a house and have some spaces to fill, very exciting! I don't know all the fancy latin names but please feel free to tell me which variety of these is best if you have opinion? We get lovely spring, VERY hot summer but I have endless irrigation district water, sun 300 days a year, dry soil that doesn't always drain well, and hard winters, down to 10 and occasionally lower. But for perspective, there are pear and cherry orchards all around me, and we're in a somewhat sheltered valley, and not far from river. warmer than many surrounding areas.

I want to try:
    Ginko
    Magnolia
    Mimosa
    Empress (Palownia)
    Cypress
    Peanut Butter (don't know real name)
    Black Walnut
    Apricot (what variety is really tangy and juicy, short season?)
    Fig
    Some controllable bamboo?
    Maple that gets huge with very dark, large leaves?
    Snowbell?

• hamburglar1
    9 years ago

Hopefully, it's not too early! Rarefind nursery just had a big sale last week, so I took the plunge and ordered a pink heartbreaker redbud. It's kind of a new and expensive cultivar, so I'm taking the risk and breaking the rules for the deep discount. High temps are around freezing here now, but the ground is not frozen and very workable. So I planted it yesterday and will keep a close eye on it over the winter. Fingers crossed.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I am sowing, or have already sown, Shagbark Hickory, in 2 places, and Longleaf pine (montane) in 5 -6 places. I have sown Q. Libani already. I have also sown Q. Alba, which may have been critter nabbed, but if the taproot has been sent down, the top doesn't matter, so therefore I left it as is. So altogether Hickory, Pine and Oak. I think I mentioned them all. Poaky1

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I almost forgot, I am adding Eastern Sycamore seeds in 2 places in my yard. One will be kept in place definitely, the other is a backup plan tree in case another one croaks. So 1 Sycamore, and maybe another. poaky1