Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdal1_gw

Androscoggin tree

cdal1
11 years ago

Hi,

I came across a website that sells the androscoggin tree and was wondering if anyone has ever grown this tree and what your thoughts are about it.

It's considered a fast growing tree so I would like to have this growing while my oaks that have already been planted have a chance to get big. Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Comments (13)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

The repulsiveness of the con-artist type sales job that sprucewood/fastgrowingtreesnow puts on would be enough to send me running. I wonder if I could give dog poop a fancy sounding name and sell it on the internet?

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Probably you are asking about a poplar, these grow big fast and may break up during summer when old enough to have long branches. Consider: do you want to be doing a bunch of removals later? Will you be able to take the poplars out without damaging the oaks?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

The Androscoggin is a type of hybrid poplar.

==>>> from FGST site ...

poplar is a poplar.. and i aint got nothing good to say about them ... fast to grow.. fast to disease.. fast to shedding large branches.. fast to die..

in tree years of course ...

plant a heritage oak that can grow 3 to 5 feet per year.. and it will be there for a century or two..

plant a poplar.. that grows 3 to 8 feet per year [or more depending where you are].. it will be costing you a lot of money in 20 years ... if it doesnt kill you in your sleep because you planted it where it will fall on the house ....

PLEASE .... find a good tree ... there really is no FAST tree ...

ken

• lkz5ia
    11 years ago

That hybrid poplar has a good scent to it and a lot faster growing than oaks, so could work good while you wait.
    Poop in general is already sold on the internet, as fertilizer, call it K9 guano.

Here is a link that might be useful: mentioned here

• lkz5ia
    11 years ago

"plant a heritage oak that can grow 3 to 5 feet per year.. and it will be there for a century or two..

plant a poplar.. that grows 3 to 8 feet per year"

Ken, the only man in the world, where oaks grow as fast as poplars. Can't say I ever experienced that, doubt the OP has either since they already have oaks planted and trying to find some fast growing trees for the situation while the oaks take their time to mature.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

BTW, I wasn't so much trying to compare hybrid poplars to dog poop (although many might). I just don't like the way that these nurseries try to market their product by making it sound like some super-tree. They seem to present information without really giving a clear picture. Many Paulownia sellers use this same technique, and I find it repulsive.

• weedbutt
    11 years ago

fast fast fast. thats the story of today society.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Pooplars?

• salicaceae
    11 years ago

It is clone of Populus maximowiczii x trichocarpa that was selected in Maine in the 1930s. It is actually one of the better clones and lives longer than most in the eastern states, but is short lived in Minnesota and upper midwest. By long-lived, I mean there are 30+ year old specimens in some areas (OH, PA, WV etc.).

• botann
    11 years ago

When I bought my ten acres, the first thing I did was eliminate the Poplars. Thirty five years later I know it was good decision. Hell, I figured it was the right decision then. Time, experience, and more knowledge, reinforces the fact I was right.
    You're paying money for an 'improved' variety?!!
    I agree with Ken and Brandon. You can do better than buy from a carnival barker.

Mike

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"By long-lived, I mean there are 30+ year old specimens in some areas"

There's 45+ years old specimens of 'Androscoggin' in Britain; the tallest known here is 28 metres tall.

I don't see why it shouldn't be capable of living as long as Populus trichocarpa or P. deltoides, both of which can get over 100 years old.

Resin

• Catharine123
    9 years ago

Dooms dayers... I have these trees , they are great trees...
    I have had none of the problems these other people have claim,, some people just like to whine and complain ...
    Happy

• poaky1
    9 years ago

To the OP. You can get 2-3 ft per year from several oaks. A Chestnut oak Quercus Prinus can give you that. Even Quercus Alba can give you 2 ft per year on a good site. My Quercus Nuttalli's have put out 3 ft a year. I never had a poplar, besides Liriodendron Tulipfera AKA Tulip Poplar, not a real poplar, and it gfot a fungal infection and had to be removed due to structural damage. Pin oak can go 3-4 ft per year in neutral to acid soil, with good moisture.. What about a Sycamore, great tree, will live hundreds of years in most situations. It grows pretty fast too. A few ft is normal, with 2 flushes, 2 ft each.