Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which tree produces the long flat bean pods?

Posted by colcol 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 12:43

Which tree makes the long sort of flattish pods with the beans inside? (Not the Catalpa with the long round pods.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which tree produces the long flat bean pods?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 13:23

A common one is honeylocust. I don't think those of less prevalent Kentucky coffeetree are so flattened-looking.

o

I agree - most likely honeylocust (Gleditisia triancanthos). Very commonly planted tree (esp. G. t. var. 'inermis' (the one without the thorns)).

~Mike

o

Do you know which variety of HoneyLocust? I have a thornless honeylocust and it doesn't. But maybe it's too young a tree still. Forgot when I planted it. maybe 5-6 years.

o

Yep, that's likely still too young to be fruiting.

Resin

o

Thank you. Looks like I have something to look forward to!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 19:24

If yours was raised from seed fruiting is possible. If it was instead a grafted named form, significant fruiting is much less likely as nearly all modern cultivars have been selected in part for setting few fruits. Like the thorns the pods are considered a detriment when planting for amenity use.

Since this is a large-growing species it seems seed-raised trees might take many years to reach flowering age, this is common with other kinds of tall trees. Grafted cultivars now prevalent have the sexual maturity of the parent plant and are therefore likely to flower at a small size. Possibly this has produced an impression that it is normal for trees to bloom young.

o

• Posted by beng z6b western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 8:42

My Honeylocust (22' tall) is only in its 5th season, but flowered fairly well both last season & this. However, no fruits, possibly because it has no nearby pollinator.

o

Although most likely the Honeylocust in zone 5a. The Mimosa also has that sort of bean-pod. The Mimosa is a smaller non-native tree with pink-ish flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here