Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samira71w

Need help finding a good tree to plant in S. Jersey.

samira71w
9 years ago

Hi,
Just wondering if any of you can suggest a good tree(s) to plant in my backyard? I live in S. Jersey. I have plenty of space for several trees. The trees don't have to be large or tall but i don't want anything that flowers or is invasive. Just want it to look pretty. Just want to some shade here and there near the patio. Also, I would need to purchase them online so if you can suggest a good website, that would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you are asking us to write a tome on such ...

check out the link... and see what interests you ... and then lets limit the talk that way ...

also contact your county extension office and see if they also have a list ... migth be able to google this list ...

stay away from anything that claims to be fast growing ... fast to grow.. fast to bugs.. fast to disease .. fast to die ...

but start by thinking about what you want under the trees.. some will kill grass... some will kill plants as they are too aggressive.. if you wish to someday garden under such .... etc ...

a pic of your yard... might inspire us ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• corkball
    9 years ago

classic yard tree is the elm - vase shaped, lots of shade, non aggressive roots. You want a DED/Elm Yellows resistant tree (probably an Asian hybrid). There are TONS of places you can get these, including local nurseries. I could recommend some, but you might want some in the NJ area. Mail order is going to be smaller too.
    Some other trees for shade:
    honeylocust (for a very light shade)
    basswood (has a tendency to form oddly and may require some pruning to get a straight trunk)
    various maples (can have aggressive roots, helicopters)

There are lots of other good shade trees like oaks, but it sounds like you want to avoid messes.

PS: S Jersey has a lot of sandy areas conducive to pine. I am not partial to pines, but that might grow well by you if you are in to that sort of thing.

• samira71w
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to the local nursery and they just want to sell you what they have such as the flowering cleaveland select pear tree that you all hate. Good thing I had read some of the reviews on this site about it. I was also told to buy a crape myrtle, flowering plum, yoshino cherry and eastern red bud. I'm really not sure about any of these. My yard has nothing in it. It's a new development and there's no trees. I'm also looking for something that needs full sun and not a lot of water and is easy maintenance. I think some of the trees that were recommended to me need to be in moist soil and need shade, etc. That's why I came to this site for some suggestions.

• corkball
    9 years ago

the local nursery has some nice options, but the ones listed are all smaller ornamental trees (flowers and small) - not what you specified - no flowers, shade. Ask them for shade tree options.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Around here new houses tend to have leveled lots where the buolder sold off the top soil. YOU may actually be served well to fertilize. I would do a soil test first so you know what to put down.

Guys, assuming this is not a beach front sand having residence, how does Quercus coccina, Scarlet oak, do in Jersey? Has good fall color, decent growth speed here, if I recall it toolerates poor soil and does not have the giant proportions of some oaks.

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Take a trip to Rarefind Nursery right in Jackson, NJ. Great selection of trees, many of them unusual, well adapted to your climate.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

If you don't have anything at all then I would suggest an Oak. It's a great first tree. Lots of native species to choose from, plenty of them native to NJ.

Another good option is Serviceberry (Amelanchier is the scientific name). Although it does flower some in spring.

• drrich2
    9 years ago

About how tall and wide would you like this tree to be? What size ranges?

Off the top of my head, I like oaks. I planted a couple, plus a lacebark elm tree (figuring to avoid DED) & a wildfire cultivar black gum tree, and 2 ginkgos, but I'm not in New Jersey. Ginkgo has a rep. for being a slow to moderate grower, that may take a couple of years to settle in & even start growing, plus some of the youngsters look like malformed hat racks to me & you need to get a male cultivar, so while I like ginkgo, I'm not pushing it.

But if you want a 40 foot tall & wide max. tree, bringing home, oh, say, a shumard oak is not a good idea.

Richard.

• samira71w
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would really prefer a smaller tree (max 30ft) but willing to go a bit taller. I live in south jersey but not by the beach. Just basically looking for something that looks pretty and is easy to take care of and likes the full sun.

• GrowerDon
    9 years ago

What makes a good tree is the right tree for what you want to create and enjoy but also is the right tree for the space and location you are planting. There are numerous choices that will do this well for you.

You might want to try Bower & Branch web site for your needs. Use the "find your match' service that can help with your options.

• drrich2
    9 years ago

A tree with a max. height of 30' (maybe 40 pushing it, if the tree is otherwise great for you?) is likely to grow rather slowly and take a long time to reach that height. So you may be waiting a long time for shade.

I don't know your local conditions well. I'll throw out a few medium deciduous trees I know of; perhaps someone else can comment on how they do in your area?

1.) Three Flower Maple (Acer triflorum) - I recently bought one to try from Broken Arrow Nursery online, I think it was.

2.) Paperbark Maple - I've had trouble with these, but I'm not in your area. Similar but reputedly hardier is the Trident Maple, which should be a fine choice. From these 1st 3 options, you can tell I like peeling bark trees. Also planted the Allee cultivar of Lacebark Elm, but that might be bigger than you want (can be quite beautiful, though; I think I found some at Nashville Zoo, and LE are nice trees).

3.) Bloodgood Japanese Maple. If you like red leaves.

4.) Fastigiate European Hornbeam.

5.) Blackgum - Wildfire cultivar (for some spring color, similar to a red tipped photinia bush). Gets larger than you want, but maybe not too huge. Mine's grown fairly fast, surprisingly enough.

I like the Missouri Botanical Garden site for a quite info. sheet on plants I'm researching.

What USDA zone are you? If they could grow in your area, what do you think of the choices I listed? Even if you don't like them, knowing why may help others advise you.

Richard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical Garden page on FEH

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

I suggest that you plant three Pink Dogwoods in a group such that they overlap each other. Then lay stepping stones around the base of each tree to form a nice patio area. Do this while the trees are small as full grown trees do not like heavy objects over their roots. In abut 5 years or so you will have a very romantic area under the trees that is blocked from the neighbors. Let the branches grow down to the ground. Add a glide type swing.... Your local nursery should have the height/width of these trees.

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick is a great specimen tree that will take up an area of about 10'H x 12'Diameter. Neat to view even during the winter months as the limbs are very contorted.

No shade as it grows close to the ground.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

A Lance Leaf Red Japanese Maple tree is another fine specimen tree.

Plant them in flower beds that are designed around their mature growth size.

• samira71w
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I have so many choices. I still have to do so much research on the trees you all suggested. Now, it's starting to get so cold here, I may have to wait until sping to plant whatever trees I decide on. I love the LOOK of the Pink Dogwood that was suggested but not sure about all the flowering and how many bugs and bees I'll get (my kids are scared of all bees!). I just want something REALLY easy to take care of! Also, I am in zone 7a and the soil is very clayish. One question: a lot of these trees require "moist" soil. Does that mean I have to water alot because it gets HOT here in south jersey? Thank you again for your suggestions and pics of your trees. They look great!

• greenthumbzdude
    9 years ago

I know you said no flowers but I am going to suggest Sweetbay Magnolia

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Above photo shows a lace-leaf maple.

• bowerandbranch
    9 years ago

Moist growing locations does not translate into watering needs directly. Watering needs are more indicative of current conditions while planting recommendations are more about growing preferences.'

Dogwoods do not attract 'bugs' - they will attract bees during flowering! Sweetbay Magnolia is wonderful choice, 1 of our favorites on the nursery for sure.

We are also fans of continued Fall planting, even going late into the fall. Many trees still be planted today and all of my Tree planting at home are only done in through fall. The sooner you plant the less watering concerns you will face next year as well.

The best time to plant a Tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is today!