Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ross09_gw

Need advice on a Severely Pruned Eastern Redbud Tree

ross09
9 years ago

HI all,

I planted a 3" caliper x 12' tall Eastern Redbud tree in the fall of 2013. It didn't leaf out in the following spring. It was a hard winter so I kept an eye on it for the next few months, hoping it would leaf out, but it didn't. Next, I did bark scrapings to see if it was still alive and cut it way back to where the scrapings showed life. The entire top half of the tree was dead, so I literally cut the tree in half at the main trunk. After that, the tree took off and started growing new branches all along what was left of the trunk, which is now about 4' tall. The tree seems healthy now, but it looks terrible, So I'm wondering what I can do to make it look better and to resemble a natural growing tree. I've thought about removing the lower branches and tying one or two of the highest branches in a straight upward direction to resemble a main trunk in the hope that it will eventually have a normal shape. But, I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I've attached a photo. Any advice would be appreciated. thank you

Attached Images

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/gardening-horticulture/538223-need-advice-eastern-redbud-tree.html#ixzz3ImcJvRuR

Comments (3)