Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

For ken_adrian - belated Halloween horror show

flora_uk
11 years ago

Ken - I took my camera out with me today and decided to collect a few images to send a shiver down your spine. For those with delicate arboricultural tendencies do not look any further.

(Myself, I love all these quirky trees. And despite the doom-mongers, many have lived a long time without any disasters befalling us.)

Beech plus ivy right up against a wall.

{{gwi:474768}}

A HEDGE! with IVY! In a car park.

{{gwi:474769}}

Horse chestnut close to building.

{{gwi:474770}}

Lombardy poplar in town centre.

{{gwi:474771}}

Birch seedling in masonry.

{{gwi:474773}}

Ailanthus and Buddleja in basement.

{{gwi:474775}}

Pyrus calleryana - a whole row.

{{gwi:474777}}

Platanus heaving up pavement.

{{gwi:474779}}

Weird graft - ash sp. on Fraxinus excelsior.

{{gwi:474781}}

Another weird graft. red horsechestnut on Aesculus hippocastanus.

{{gwi:474783}}

I clearly have too much time on my hands today. Hope you didn't find that too upsetting.

And hope you've all voted! Best wishes, Flora.

Comments (25)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what a hoot .. rotflmbo ...

they all look great ... you know i just play the drama game.. to make my point in various posts ...

how do you ID the lower part on the weird grafts??? .. just on bark ...

ken

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Nice ivy hedge! Since it's native here, it is of course a good thing, very valuable for wildlife.

The "Lombardy Poplar" is 'Plantierensis', not 'Italica'.

"how do you ID the lower part on the weird grafts??? .. just on bark ..."

Yep, plus the obvious point that it has to be a close relative of the graft on top.

Resin

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Resin can you id the top part of the ash for me?

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ash keys - slimmer, redder and shinier than common ash.

• poaky1
    11 years ago

Those grafts are pretty high up in the tree, they don't look that bad to me. The ivy looks good actually, just not if it goes way up to the crown and causes problems. I have a volunteer oak close to a building too, the building will be gone before the oak. We have plane trees in town that are doing the same with sidewalks. The last graft picture is funny, the car to the right is caked with mud! Iknow this is for Ken but I put my 2cents in.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"Resin can you id the top part of the ash for me?"

Manna Ash Fraxinus ornus, 90% probability (100% unless the pic was taken in a major botanical garden, in which case one of its Asian close relatives is possible).

Resin

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All welcome, poaky1. I'm interested that a muddy car is funny. Don't you see dirty cars in the US? In a a rain sodden country like ours muddy cars are not unusual.

• calliope
    11 years ago

We certainly do, flora. However, I've found that in the UK the hedgerows are convenient for left-sided mud removal if you take the curves at a high enough rate of speed. One cannot do it on the barbed wire fences in the U.S. It breaks the wire, the cattle get out, and it leaves deeper scratches.

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

"I've found that in the UK the hedgerows are convenient for left-sided mud removal if you take the curves at a high enough rate of speed"

-Calliope

{{gwi:474787}}

• calliope
    11 years ago

LOL.......

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the id, Resin.

Here's another purist's no-no. Trees planted close together.... a long time ago.

• lcadem
    11 years ago

what a wonderful group! They are beech trees right!?

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, beech.

• poaky1
    11 years ago

The dirty car is not unheard of here of course, and I would've made the comment at the time if the car was in a picture posted from down the road from me. It just contrasted with the rest of the pic to me, the nice green grass and nice gothic fence tree, and then the dirty car. No offence intended, that was my reaction. My car is kinda dirty now too.

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No offence even remotely imagined, poaky1. I was just curious as to why you noticed it particularly. The roads can get pretty mucky here in the winter, especially in country areas where tractors and machinery leave a lot of mud on the surface. The 'nice green grass' and the mucky car are two sides of the same phenomenon - lots and lots of rain :-)

• poaky1
    11 years ago

I got to visit your Island/country in 2001. There weren't a lot of overhead wires. Unless that has changed recently. Our country should try that. It surely would help lessen power outages when the wet sow makes tree limbs droop or snap. Maybe it would be cost prohibitive to try to change things now. Think of all the topping that would'nt have to occur. I'm in the country too, they use black ash on the roads when they need to add grit for traction, salt is last resort.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Trumpet Vine growing right through the middle of a Yew up against a wall

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

poaky needs to get out of the city/suburbia ...

i see plenty of vehicles much worse than that car .... out here in farm land .... not every road is paved ...

of course.. we dont have the hedge rows ...

ken

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Eastern Red Cedar growing inches from a basement window...

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I am in the country actually, but we have gravel on the driveway. Well, one time my car looked near as bad, I was trying to collect acorns in a cemetary from a Shingle oak. I got hung up on a granite marker, it was icy and muddy. i had to get towed out. Kinda strange, yes. I'm surprised I'm not haunted for that one, my car slid into the marker.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Is this tree too close to the house, do you think?

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Boy is that disappionting. If there is a remedy to keep the tree, i would do it if money allows. You don't have a basement? Either way if you could accomidate the tree, I would try, unless it will comprimise your homes safety, or strength. I had a volunteer Q. Alba that close to our barn, I had to cut it down, and it put out 4 ft from the stump this year, it sucks to have to move a tree that is so robust.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Here's a Cedrus deodara a tree trimmer friend dropped off one day. The only way I could figure out how to display it was upside down. It was growing right next to an apartment house. One of the lower branches grew up in front of the main trunk and began to compete for apical dominance. As the branch grew up it began to grow two leaders. Meanwhile a branch from the main trunk grew between the two leaders. The two leaders got thicker and gradually cut off the branch from the trunk and formed a good union. This is the result.
    Mike

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

poaky1: Which tree is disappionting, the small cedar or the big pine?

The big pine is growing next to a summer house, is healthy, and has never caused any problems (apart from pine needles in the gutters). A tree too close to the house is a potential disaster, but sometimes you get lucky and nothing bad happens. No one uses the place in the winter, so if a branch fell due to snow no one would be there to be hurt by that. The wooded look is the whole point of the summer place...my great grandfather owned the place next door. One of his kids chopped down the trees around it, and the place wasn't the same after. (Eg too hot without the shade). My grandfather responded by buying this place.

As for the small Eastern Red Cedar near the basement...yes, that is a problem. It's at my parent's house. I keep meaning to try to try to transplant it, but never get a chance. I may have waited to long...I'm worried about the hole next to foundation that would be created if I dug it up. Probably this fall.