Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bake_neko

elaeocarpus ganitrus

bake-neko
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone here even slightly familiar with this tree? I'm interesting in trying to grow one, and there is precious little information online. What I do know is that it grows in Nepal and Tibet, is known to be incredibly adaptable and tolerant to all kind of soil and drought, and even to salt. While it has a recorded low temperature tolerance of 90 degrees F, there are some who say it can tolerate lower temps than that if care is taken and the sapling is protected the first several years until it is established - after that it's very difficult to harm the tree. There appears to be some evidence that it can indeed tolerate my climate zone considering some of the regions it is known to grow...

I am also looking for information on growing and protecting warmer climate trees in colder climates. I know it's possible for many plants if care is taken, but I don't know a lot about it. If anyone can give me some pointers or link me to any relevant threads I would appreciate the assistance. I have been searching and reading for some time, and will continue to, but any direct advice from people here I would value highly over general web searches.

Thanks in advance for any time and assistance.

Comments (5)

• bake-neko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, sorry, somehow I missed a typo when reading my preview - the recorded low-temp tolerance is 19 degrees F, where some say it can tolerate colder than that.

Also, I should point out it is most often grown in tropical and sub-tropical climates. It also grows in some cold climates which is why I am holding out hope I might be able to grow one here.

Thanks again!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

superficial review on google dicates it is a tropical plant... you might want to try that forum ... if no one here has any experience ....

but short of building a conservatory ... i doubt that any tree described as tropical is going to be zone pushed ... to your back yard ...

the link seems to indicate z9 to 10 ....and w/o that conservatory.. you arent going to make up 4 zones...

so i guess the next question is.. can you handle a 20 foot tree as a houseplant ... lol .. which brings you full circle to that conservatory idea ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd link --GW wont allow a direct link

• bake-neko
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to look. I've seen the link you provided,, it's for a subspecies of the tree I'm talking about, the Indonesian tree, which is much smaller than the Himalayan tree - though the Indonesian tree is also known to grow in the Himalayan foothills of Nepal and India.

There are 3 identifying characteristics between the two that I have learned, the first being size: The 20 foot tree/large shrub mentioned in the article is the Indonesian variety. The Himalayan tree would be far less manageable as a potted tree, and even difficult in a conservatory, at 60 - 100 feet tall compared to 20 - 50 feet. =D The second is the color of falling leaves - Indonesian tree's turn yellow to orange while Himalayan tree's turn red. The third is the form of the endocarp, which is probably the biggest difference between the varieties aside from the supposed growing zone tolerances.

The Indonesian tree is a true tropical, and I wouldn't try to attempt it. I really couldn't deal with a big tree like that potted. =) Apparently the Himalayan variety grows through the Temperate zone of Nepal up to and including parts of the cold zone, and is said to grow in parts of Tibet as well - both areas are climates comparable to my own. There are apparently even monks in Hawaii who claim this tree can grow in colder climates, though I haven't been able to get more than anecdotal confirmation of this as of yet.

I'll try the tropicals section as you suggest, thank you. =) It may just be that I might have to try on my own.

Thank you again.

~Neko

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

the potential problem is what the "temperate" climate in nepal is compared to the "temperate" climate of north america. for example, many of the "big leaved" and "tree" rhododendrons of the himalayas (including nepal) like rhododendron arboreum, grande, and montroseanum grow from 5000' to 10,000' in "temperate" zones and are not hardy below USDA 7b or higher. the deciduous mangnolia campbellii from about the same elevations and of similar hardiness (or lack of) in most temperate areas. IOW, the nepal idea of "temperate" and likely "cold" is probably not the same as ours so plants from such areas should likely be regarded as not especially frost hardy without more experience in colder zones "here".FWIW, most of the other "hardy" elaeocarpus spp. from china and japan have not proved especially frost resistant, either---at least not for me, LOL. that said, if you can get the plant, try it out (especially if you live in an area that can grow evergreen broadleaved trees like southern magnolia or live oak or similar things---it is an evergreen species) and if not be prepared to give it significant protection in the coldest parts of the winter at least. good luck.

• aruniwee
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

i realize this is from 7 years ago. Believe it or not i have 3 of these plants indoors in NYC that i planted from seeds from Kwaii monastry. one of them has reached the ceiling & the new leaves are showing edge/tip brown patches & falling. i was trying to figure out what to do when i came across this thread. if anyone has any suggestions please advise.

thank you.