Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

Are all Lemon trees evergreen?

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

I have a nice little lemon tree seedling that is currently developing its 4th leaf ever. I want to make sure it's not deciduous because I don't want to stick it outside in this frozen-during-the-winter climate because it will certainly freeze to death. If it's evergreen, it could probably hold up until next winter when I am in Florida and I can leave it outside year round. So, I just want to know if all lemon trees are evergreen or if they're are some deciduous varieties. Thanks in advanced

PS: The seedling came from one of the seeds of a store bought lemon.

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Evergreen. Even it they weren't evergreen, you still couldn't put a citrus outside in your climate.

If you spend a little bit of time reading a few of the hundreds of threads in this forum, you'll learn an awfully lot about how to successfully grow lemons and other citrus inside, in containers.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some pictures:

This is the 4th leaf that has been growing for the past 24 hours
    {{gwi:475187}}
    Here's a far away view of it at the same angle
    {{gwi:475189}}
    Here's a top view.
    {{gwi:475191}}

I think the little lemon tree seedling is so adorable.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, that's weird. I only responded once and the response appeared more than once. I don't get it. This never happened to me before.

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

It happens sometimes when the GW bots don't like a poster. Don't take it personally. Toronado3800 is notorious for doing this in multiple topics.

Are you growing this lemon tree for entertainment or because you eventually want fruit from it? Just curious :)

John

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Looks fine! Keep it in as brightly lit a window as you have, and in a temperature range from 12� to 20�C (i.e. slightly cooler than normal room temperature).

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you are growing a TREE indoors ... in z5 ... and i will guess.. near a window ...

first off .. congrats.. you are very excited ...

second .. you have it in a potting media .. made for perennials or annuals.. it holds a lot of water .. and that can be very problematic for TREES ...

unlike many house plants.. that love wet feet.. a TREE will not like that ... especially if every night ... the house gets cold.. and your TREE is standing in cold damp MEDIA ... which is where a window sill in z5 winter is the problem .. if you can keep it under lights.. and on the warmer side .. that would be much better .. and one trick to that.. is to run the lights at night.. when the house gets cold .... 16 hours is about what you need ...

i would suggest.. that you tend to let it stay on the dry side ... rather than always sopping wet ...

and when the time comes.. to get it out of that small pot ... probably spring ... you should research a potting media .. that is more appropriate to TREES ... here in GW there is Al's gritty mix.. or i often suggest a cactus mix ... use the GW search function ...

also.. there is a fruit forum.. and those peeps.. might have more precise knowledge about such.. and if i am not mistaken.. there might even be a citrus forum ... not that we dont love you.. i am just pointing out.. there might be experts.. who dont think of themselves as TREE peeps ... my point is.. if i have one.. we TREE peeps grow them in mother earth ... and there are peeps who might know how to grow them indoors better than we ...

anyway.. genetics says you may or may not get a lemon as good as the one you bought at the store.. but you wont know about that for 5 to 10 years.. and in the mean time.. you have fun with this one ...

it can spend summer outside from june to about mid sept .. otherwise.. it is a houseplant.. in z5 ... and if you ever decide to throw it outdoors.. ask us about HARDENING IT OFF ...

good luck

ken

ps: i had lots of problems with GW today.. after you hit send.. did you get an error message.. hit the back button.. sent it again.. got the error message.. went back.. sent it again.. and it finally took ... i did .. and guess what.. regardless of the error message.. it got sent each time .. i often open a 2nd window.. and open the same post to see if it worked the first time ... which is what i will do.. if this doesnt go.. lol

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

mcg, I forgot what forum we were in! You need to visit the Citrus Forum! Click on the attached link and I'll take you right over there.

Citrus develop true from seed, though grafted onto a different rootstock, they come into production much sooner than seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's go to the Citrus Forum!

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ken,

I may have gotten an error message but I don't remember 100%. We'll see next time this decides to happen.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Are all lemon trees evergreen? Only the healthy ones.